I Forge Iron

Lightweight Welding/Cutting Kit

I bought one of those years ago while trying to make up my mind about spending the money for an OA rig. The valves were so shoddy you couldnt set the oxy right and by the time you had fiddled it into the right position the oxy tank was empty. Oxy acet welding requires fine flame control , this had none. I did manage to melt a couple of bolt heads which was fun. After buying three oxy tanks I gave it away. Mine had no cutting head. Cutting is done with a jet of pure oxy and uses a lot of oxygen. I dont see a cutting head for this one either. This kit will not handle 1/4" plate never mind 1/2" or 3/4".

If you buy a good quality OA set up and invest the time to learn to use it well, you will never regret it. If you do your homework and learn the equipment, you can buy what you need in used equipment on ebay and quite cheaply or look around at garage sales and Craigslist etc.

Edited by maddog

Definately wait and save your money and buy a decent oxy acetylene setup, you will not regret it. However you will probably regret getting that little torch. While $50-$60 for the torch might not seem "bad" when on a budget, you will probably find that you will not be pleased with its performance and inevitabely will want to upgrade. And it is going to cost a lot more than you think to operate. That little oxygen cylinder for that torch only last a few minutes (I have heard only about 15), as in minutes, not hours and at a cost of around $15 a piece, thats crazy, for every hour of use you do you will be spending $60. Cutting will eat oxygen consumption even faster. After using the set up for only about 8 hours, you will have eaten up enough money to have easily bought yourself a regular oxy-acetyelene setup.

If you are looking for a cheaper way to get into a regular oxy acetylene set up, HF has complete torch and regulator kits for about $150, and you can buy or lease tanks for different prices, and diffrent sizes for different costs.

If you are looking for a cheaper way to get into a regular oxy acetylene set up, HF has complete torch and regulator kits for about $150, and you can buy or lease tanks for different prices, and different sizes for different costs.

Well ... I went this route and the gauges are fine but the hoses are a bit short and the cutting handle/head just plain sucks! It uses 2 rubber O rings between the handle and heads which only last an hour or so then the tip starts popping, once this happens it will leak Ox and you will have to shut off at the tank after EVERY use or run out of Ox before you know it. The popping causes melted metal to pop up on the tip and the leaking Ox causes Tones of carbon to build up inside the head all the way down to the handle. This causes you to have to replace the O rings and clean the head and tip every 2-4'' of cutting, and I was cutting 1/8'' bead frame last try and likely could have cut it with a hacksaw as fast.

As some one once said... you get what you pay for!

I own one of the cheap A/O kits they sell all the time on e-bay for $129 made by lincoln electric (china) It is a little work horse. The hoses were too short to be any use so I replaced them with 25' hose from welding shop for $19.95. This kit is now 4 years old and it has been in my truck tool box since then I use it all the time to do some heavy equipment repairs and to cut plate and scrap. It cutts 1" plate with no problem. I do have much better torches and gauges in my shop but would not like to have them stolen out of my truck so they only come out as needed. I did have 1 of those bernz-o-matics kits I got to cut the muffler of my jeep before I had good torches, lets just say I finished the job witha sawsall. So save up

Sounds like you must have gotten a defective torch Nate. The HF is not an ideal torch, and certanily wouldn't hold up well in a high abuse area like a welding fab shop, but for things at home and more "gentle use" situations they seem to do just fine, or at least mine does. Certanily if you have the funds buy a good torch like a Victor or Smith, or if you plan for heavy use, but for a starter torch for someone on a budget or for someone with limited need, it is a decent alternative. I have had one for probably 3 or 4 years now and it has never given me any of the problems you have mentioned, in fact I have been pretty pleased with it. The hoses are cheap and short, and tend to start cracking, but as far as the torch it, has done just fine. Never had any o-ring issues, bought a bunch of replacement o-rings thinking there could be issues, but havent had to replace them yet, even after a few years of use. Granted I don't use the torch every day, but for my needs it has served me well. Carbon buildup inside the torch body is not from leaking oxygen at the connection between the torch body and cutting handle, thats from burnback down into the torch body from the tip, or pre-combustion into the torch body, but havent really heard of that problem, usually if a leak occurs at a lower fitting, it will burn on the exterior of the torch at the connection, since the pressure of the gas forces it outwards. Burnback is the mostlikley cause. Oxygen does not cause hydrocarbon build up, that comes from acetyelene, acetylene without enough oxygen to completly burn the hydrocarbons. The popping tip sounds like your cutting tip is leaking, dirty, or defective, allowing for burnback into the cutting head and down the torch body. Burnback/ flashback is dangerous and I would not run that torch again until you correct the issue.

TarAlderion Thanks for the reply! What causes the burn back and how can I fix it? The torch cutting head gets very hot quickly but not hot enough to turn red. The first 2'' or so of the head pipes that come out of the tip is now heat colored to bark blue/black so I do think you are right I just don't know how to fix it. This may be what is causing the O Rings to fail as well if they are getting too hot they may be burning up.

Nate, since you have a complete setup now, you might consider upgrading to quality stuff component by component. You can buy good quality torches, tips & cutting heads for very reasonable prices on ebay. You have to do some homework because your choice of torch handle will dictate what tips and cutting attachment you use but if you pick a popular style in a size that suits you you cant go wrong. Its quite likely that the regulators will go south one of these days and you will have to replace those too.

It all depends on your budget of course, but IMO HF stuff is ok while it works but its not worth much effort to fix it.

You may be trying to weld thick material with too small a tip orifice. That keeps the torch in one place for too long trying to get the puddle in the parent metal and overheating the tip. When the tip gets that hot, it supports internal self combustion. You might just get first quality O rings and change them out. It does more sound like my first guess. BY THE WAY- if you ever hear a screeching squalling sound- you must shut down the tank valves- or if you are out in a field and no one else is around, you can run like heck for 150 yards, drop prone and watch the calamity.jol