I Forge Iron

Centaur M2066 Odd Slots

I picked up this anvil yesterday for $150. It has a couple of odd slots in the rear I can’t identify. I suspect they have something to do with making/bending horse shoes but they’re not the common bending buttons you see on some farrier anvils. I don’t know if they are manufactured or something custom some farrier had installed. Honestly they look like they were part of the casting.

If you know what they are I’d love to hear about it.

Thanks!

IMG_0533.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

North Carolina. I'd like to trade it for a double horn blacksmith anvil but after 800+ views on Marketplace there have been no offers. Doesn't matter; got a nice anvil at a good price.

I took a wire wheel to it yesterday and it looks nice today; and not done cleaning it up yet. :-)

Thanks for the response.

Not to be rude but I don't know anyone who would trade a double horn black smith anvil for a farrier pattern anvil that has been permanently modified by a previous owner. The reason I say this is here in the USA double horn anvils which are usually a European style anvil are relatively rare compared to London, American, and Farrier pattern anvils which are a lot more common here. I personally would be happy with the deal I got, use it to learn on, and save up my nickles and dimes to buy a double horn in the future.

I had the same thought as you. I got a used ranch anvil that had been pretty beat up by cold horse shoeing. I really liked and still do like the way double horn anvils look. I really wanted and still want a double horn, but I used what I had and grew to like it a lot. It is still my main anvil. I found out that there is nothing I could do on a double horn that I couldn't in my beat up Sisco. Someday I will buy my double horn but until then my beat Sisco and beat up Columbian anvils(also an old ranch anvil) serve me just fine.

I’m not disappointed in my purchase and will be happy to use this one going forward. One horn is plenty. I am looking for possible trades now before I go banging it up; it really is in great condition so a trade now would bring me the most bang for the buck. The only functional difference I think important for me here is the width of the face. The double horns I’ve seen generally have wide(er) faces. 

A wire brush worked wonders!

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

A second horn can NOT make up the lead a cast Swedish Steel anvil has on all comers. 

What about a wide face appeals to you? I have yet to find something I don't have enough room using the length of the face. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've never been a fan of double horn anvils. I use the right angles on the heel for many things such as, obviously, checking right angles and as a base line for making length marks along the off side, and would not want to be without them.

We’ll, when rains it pours. Talking to a friend today who told me here father collected a few anvils before passing. So I followed her to his old barn and yes, we could find two of them; one what looked the a cast anvil with a supersized railroad rail base and the back end broken off. The second is now in my shop for safe keeping; a xxxxxxxx Hay Budden forged anvil. Shameful condition for something like that but that’s what neglect and weather will do. So now have another anvil adventure for another thread. (Also got a bucket of rail road spikes and a dozen hammers. LOL)