I Forge Iron

Refrectory removal

giantdude33

I need to remove the refractory from a cast forge pan in order to free up and remove the firebox.  I don't want to use Muriatic acid to "eat" the concrete if I can avoid it. I have tried a chisel to break it but it is strong stuff and I am concerned about breaking the cast pan.  

Any knowledge/wisdom/advise from everyone with more experience  and smarter than myself would be greatly appreciated.

One word: patience.

It may very well be that the only thing that will work is a hammer and chisel. Go slowly, wear PPE, and don't try to do too much too fast. If you find yourself getting impatient, take a break: it's almost always that frustrated hard blow that does the damage you're trying to avoid.

Phosphoric acid will dissolve it whatever it is without damaging the cast iron. Just be Very VERY careful, too much can react energetically on contact with portland cement concrete! Test with one or two drops and observe the reaction. Don't make me tell you to wear PPE suitable to handling a STRONG acid!

Scoring it is an excellent idea but it may be too well bonded to the pan to come out in chunks. However, chiseling towards holes is an easier way to break out stubborn masonry. Drill a hole, say 1/2" dia. Place mason's chisel about 1/2" from the edge and angle it intersect with the bottom edge of the hole and smack it. You should be able to do the same thing after cutting deep notches with a masonry disk and break it towards the cuts.

Saving the cast iron pan is important so take a look at the underside periodically, especially if you knock out a large chunk. Hmmm

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. After I posted I was able to break out a small chunk. Then, with the patience everyone suggested, I was able to chip out larger chunks separating them from the cast pan. It took a couple of hours but it is completed without any casualty ( to the forge of course). 

Thanks again for everyone's assistance!!