I Forge Iron

Buying Wrought iron

Anyone interested in selling wrought iron or know someone who is? Id really like to find larger quantities than the one bar for one knife type sales Ive seen around from time to time.

Im in KY but will consider freight shipping if practical.

Thanks

Josh

Josh, please give us an idea of how much "larger quantities" means?  10 pounds?  Hundreds of pounds?  Thousands?

There are different grades of wrought iron.  At the low end it can be fairly crappy and the higher end (double or triple rolled) can be rare and expensive.  Do you care about grade?  What kind of project(s) are you thinking about?

Also, do you care about shape?  Plate? Bar?

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

George,

I want all I can afford, at least a few hundred pounds. I dont need the best grade ever rolled, but it would be nice if its workable.

Irondragon,

I have not, I will try to look that up on the forum.

Josh

Considering that the Globe was demolished in 1645, I suspect not.

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Try searching for sources in Europe

Check out the Real Wrought Iron Company in the UK. 

Baker Forge & Tool in North Carolina used to carry wrought iron, although it's not currently on their website. Might be worth giving them a call.

There used to be a company (in Indiana?) that supplied salvaged WI, especially old silo hoops, but I don't remember the name and can't find them online.

Yes, the original Globe is long gone but there was a lot of materials salvaged and sold from the site a few years ago.

Real Wrought company is one I couldn't remember.

Is Pure Iron still in business? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I would prefer bar stock,flat or round,  anywhere from 1/2" up to 2" would be useful.

I really hoped someone on the forum was sitting on a large bridge salvage or a large stack of wagon tires or something...guess everyone is just piecemealing it out like me, find a piece here or there... i would love to find an amount to have at least a consistant stock or quantity to work with.

I know that at one point 5 or 6 years ago, Jeffrey Funk had quite a pile from an old bridge he dismantled. Don't know if any is left. Should be able to find him- he has a school now in MT (I think). I saw him demo at the 2016 ABANA conf in DE.

Steve

There is/was a company in Minnesota with the name Old Globe, etc. (can't link commercial sites) that at one time sold wrought iron from the grain elevators.  It was mostly bar and rod.  I bought a bunch of rod back in 2017, but I don't know if they still have any to sell.  You might google the name and see if there is any contact info.  I believe they only sell wood from the elevators now.

I think the Old Globe company was selling wrought from the Globe theater n the USA as a distributor and when that dried up started selling from other sources. There was an old bridge that was taken down a couple years ago that was mostly wrought iron and it was being sold. I used to get ads for salvaged WI but haven't seen one recently. 

Frosty The Lucky.