I Forge Iron

It took me 9 years....

templehound

...... to finish this folder which I started out of curiosity.

How one of my signature folder models would look like if made from materials that are static, not taking any patina and only can be colored in colors which

are completely kitsch....well, that is imho, of course....so I didn't take any efforts to color it....left it all "natural" and white.

It has a blade made from inox damascus by the living legend Fritz Schneider, he was the first man on the planet who developed stainless damascus.

As time goes by I experienced that curiosity sometimes is not enough to keep the flame burning so I abandoned the project countless times and only worked on it occasionally.

....but someday even such projects are finished and consequently my curiosity is completely satisfied.

Bolsters are made from unidentified Titanium( Grade 1 or 2?) 6Al4V for the lners and handle slabs made from mother of pearl.

I like the resulting knife a lot but there will not be a second one.

Cheers

GH1.JPG

GH2.JPG

GH3.JPG

GH4.JPG

GH5.JPG

GH6.JPG

GH8.JPG

GH7.JPG

Jeremiah,

Some time back I stumbled upon your work and have now been through many of the threads on your knives but figured I would wait to comment until I saw a fresh thread. You have a wonderful eye for line, form, and balance. Each of your knives exhibits attention to craftsmanship and detail resulting in both elegance and precision. In this case I think the subtle patterning on the blade is very nicely complimented by your choice of materials for the rest of the knife. Inspiring work sir!

--Larry

Once again you've made beauty itself incarnated in a knife. The material's colors are just different enough to blend without contrasting. It almost sings out to perform surgery or other high function.

I just wish you'd learn to NOT point the camera and flash at the flat of the blades, the glare wipes detail from the blades, especially pattern welds. In all those beautiful pictures the only one you can see the pattern is #5 with faint hints in #7. 

Your workmanship is to be aspired to, I wish I could see it more clearly.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

LarryFanhoe, Les L, Frosty and Iron Dragon:

Gentlemen, everyone of you gave me a great individual praise on my work.

I thank you humbly for the nice comments!

Frosty(;)), I feel a bit guilty that I forgot to mention that the blade is unetched to NOT show the pattern welding on this particular knife.

Imho Inox damascus never has a very pleasing contrast in its appearance, there is only white and grey, and the pattern which is static and sterile in my eye, not very attractive.

It would have distracted to much from the actual knife , So everything is intentional.

I only took one close up shot in the right angle to give evidence that it is indeed a damascus steel.

I chose this steel because it is from a very beloved former mentor of mine, who is a very famous man in the European knife and steel society and it is a superior stainless steel. (Fritz Schneider encouraged me in the early 90's when I was a tattooed long-haired rookie knife maker and never spared with praise and advice and friendship, thank god he is still alive, he must be now in his high 80's).

Cheers

I wasn't being "nice" I was just commenting on what I see, even being critical about it. 

I have to apologize for not realizing you not etching was deliberate or understanding the reasoning. I've been looking at your work long enough to know you don't do anything for drama or flash. It's all high end craft and quality. 

The subtle pattern of the steel makes sense and is a perfect expression of your blade.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 months later...

I really like the knives you post, templehound. They're always great - I like that the designs have high attention to detail but are never pretentious or glitzy. They have the precision of factory knives but they still say "hand-made".

I hope I can get my own knives in that class someday. Gonna have to work on my patience for sanding a lot, though, lol

• 2 months later...