I Forge Iron

Obsessed with Wootz

Scwootz

Hi everyone,

Im new to the community and new to blacksmithing. 
I find myself obsessing over ancient history from from Sumerians and prior to medieval times. Somehow I ended going down the rabbit hole on wootz and its origins which led me to Al Pendray and his work. I am here to learn as much as possible and to put everything I learn to practice. 
I’m happy to join and be part of the community. :)

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. There has been some discussions about your passion on the forum. I did a search on Google like this  

wootz steel site:iforgeiron.com     and got 171 results in 0.31 seconds.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Good Mourning SC,

Welcome to our Wurld, to wherever you are that a Shadow follows you. If you put your location (area) in your Avatar, we could then guide you to someone close to you. I know Santa Claus works at the Knorth Pole, I don't know the lady that runs the Shouth Pole. I have heard she is quite frigid. LOL

Wootz is quite a big thing to start out with. Most people start out with a little thing called a Sword, they learn the hard way, that it take a few years to come out empty handed. Most drop the ball and are never heard from again. Connect to a group near you and take little steps with positive outcomes. Then after a few years of learning the basics, you can Wootz to the new Music. Enjoy the journey, the destination keeps moving.

Neil

Thank you! 
I’m in CA- Oakland 

I will definitely learn the basics before I venture into crucible steel.

My journey will start from the basics meaning smelting my own iron, making my own tools and crafting some blades with purchased stock and it will all serve as experience to make my own wootz. 

got to crawl before you can run. 

Welcome aboard. 

Small tip, you do not have to quote entire post. Just do like a copy and past type thing nd a little box will show up that says "quote selected" the mods frown on huge, unnecessary quotes. If you have not go to the "READ THIS FIRST" thread and read it. It is great for learning to navigate the site. 

Do not be surprised if your journey takes you down a different path than you plan. When i started i thought i wanted to make knives, i have discovered that i am more  into hardware and ornamental work. I have come to hate making knives now. Not that i wont make one if someone wants to pay me for it but i do not enjoy it. 

Again welcome, a lot of good info here and people, keep it fun and keep it safe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend that you connect with someone who does smelting workshops before you try one on your own. I'm not sure if Lee Sauder is still running classes, but that would be worth checking out.