I Forge Iron

Anvil Stand Hold Down? Need or not?

Hi All,

I finished making an anvil stand that I tried my best to duplicate from a Jason Knight video on YouTube, but he didn't show if he added a hold down. Below is the finished stand.

I haven't used it yet, but I did beat it with a 2x4 a few times to see if it would tilt/move the anvil... Nada. I can lean on one end and it will lift a little... that makes me uneasy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

20230310_161611.thumb.jpg.61bce7ad0fa292171fe7d89d5d515784.jpg20230313_180946.thumb.jpg.ec79463ceac9fdffa3cdf94a218a4b17.jpg20230314_174639.thumb.jpg.68ea6c4b32d522ed687812992029eb0b.jpg

The weight of an anvil will be one of the variables regarding whether it needs to be semi-permanently afixed to the stand.  A 500 pound anvil is not going to move much no matter what you do.  A 75 pound anvil is more likely to move and walk in normal use and could benefit by rigidly attaching it to the mass of the stand or stump.

I'd use it for awhile and if it is moving and absorbing energy that is intended for the hot metal then I would add some sort of tie downs.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Your usage will answer that. I like having my anvil as clean as possible from misc stuff. You'd be surprised how an obscure corner of your anvil just might have a use if it is'nt covered by something. But that is balanced, so to speak, with keeping any movement of your anvil to a minimum. Any movement is hammer blows being wasted.

I guess it would depend on the weight of the anvil. However I have mine clamped down and if nothing else it helps me to move the whole unit around the shop or just to move it back in place as it travels a bit from just work. As I'm able to lift it by the horn or the heel and scoot it in place.