I Forge Iron

New from Northern Wisconsin

Jms

Just starting out hammering metal in the garage(few months). I've always been drawn to forging, so figured I wasn't getting any younger. I'm hopefully adding pictures correctly and plan on sitting down reading a bunch on here. I've also invested in Mark Aspery books and any book I can find. Hells forge double burner setup and anvil stand.

20230212_121151.thumb.jpg.f989b607155629bb63fd0d7ce18d4be1.jpg20230212_121213.thumb.jpg.83ba57400e7f00475068817e2133ef42.jpg

Glad to see!  I have the double burner also, it served me well in the beginning. 

One thing I noticed was your hammer. I'd recommend replacing the handle with wood asap. In Mark Aspery's 1st book he goes over shaping it, although what works for him doesn't quite work for me, but you'll get the idea. 

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

What part of N. Wisconsin.  I spent a fair amount of time in the Tomahawk area as a kid. (I grew up in Chicago).

While I agree that wood is better than fiberglass for hammer handles and all my commonly used hammers have wood handles I do have a few that have fiberglass/composite handles but I have never been sure that replacing them would be an upgrade worth the effort and time.  If you do replace your handle save the old one for use on a handled set tool, e.g. a hot punch or hot cutter, where you need a handle but won't be swinging it.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I'm located around the Eau Claire area, so not far north Wisconsin, but still far enough to enjoy some North woods.

I am curious about the wood handle hammers versus the fiberglass/composite. The research I did before purchasing as many posts that are for wood have just as many posts for fiberglass.  The only things I saw that was for certain is the wood ones are better for being able to dress the handles to your liking and the wood ones smell better when something hot touches the wood.  Me personally, it was cheaper to get the fiberglass handles versus wood, but I am interested in hearing from others with more experience.  Also please don't take me asking questions as an attack or not valuing opinions, I've just learned in my 43 years on this Earth, I want to know why a lot.

The advantages of fiberglass are lower cost and acceptable performance.

The disadvantage is that they don't have as comfortable a feel as a properly finished wood handle, and many people have reported that their higher friction leads to increased blistering.

6 minutes ago, Jms said:

Also please don't take me asking questions as an attack or not valuing opinions, I've just learned in my 43 years on this Earth, I want to know why a lot.

Good attitude. Welcome to IFI!

Welcome to the fun. If you are able, see if there is a state or regional blacksmith association near you that has people hosting classes or events nearby. In person learning can be a great asset, and is usually not terribly expensive.

No problem starting out inexpensively, you can always change out the handle if you find you don't care for it or when it wears out eventually. Around here the only place that carries hammer handles anymore is ACE Hardware and they're about $15 a pop, but they are better quality than those I've ordered online for less. 

I don't know if you've been on YouTube for blacksmithing, if so use caution and common sense, but Mark Aspery has a channel and has done quite a few videos that you may find helpful in addition to the books. I'm jealous you got all the books though, they look quite nice. 

Welcome to the forum! I also devoured quite a few books as I was diving into this craft. I borrowed from the library first (sometimes had to use Interlibrary Loan) to see if I liked the format and if so, then I would order the book for purchase. Then I joined my local blacksmith association and found out they have their own little lending library! So I highly recommend checking for a local association and see what all they offer. 

FWIW, every time someone on the forum talks about hammer handles, I remember that I need to address some of my newer hammer handles to better fit my hand. Does the hammer work without doing so? Yes, which is why I keep putting it off. Would my hand muscles appreciate a better shape and not tire as quickly? Quite likely. I will confirm that (with wood handles anyway) removing the poly finish they come with completely eliminated the blisters I was getting from longer forging sessions! So if you notice you are getting blisters when using the fiberglass handle after longer forging sessions, then just know that switching to a wooden handle will 100% help that.

• 3 weeks later...

Cost is tricky; example: which is cheaper over the long run: a free car that gets 10mpg and uses premium gas or a US$2000 car that gets 30 mpg and uses regular unleaded gas? 

I've noticed that professional tennis players used to go back to wooden rackets when they get tennis elbow issues...

Hmm I see your point with the cars, I guess I'd have to go with which one is cheaper to repair, when it brakes down. :D

As of now I'm just taking it slow. My arms get tired before blisters show up, so I'm hoping in the future as I work those muscles, I'll switch over to wood, if I start developing more issues. 

My adopted sister's CLH just had to have my Father's Lexus even though he's working a part time minimum wage job and can't afford to buy gas for it much less repairs.  I was offered it for free; but my small pickup/ute suits my budget and needs MUCH better and I turned it down.