I Forge Iron

Goose-Neck Floor Lamp

swedgemon

Just finished a goose-neck floor lamp for DW.  Feet are 1/2" square, post is ruffed-up 1" square tube (power hammer), vine effect is 3/16" CR, Lamp shade is a piece of 4" pipe forged down to 1 1/2" on one end with forged leaves and stems on the other.   The tube was bent by filling it with DRY sand then welding the ends shut (small vent hole drilled on each end).  Project used lotsa LPG and Oxy.

DSCN0659.JPG

DSCN0661.JPG

DSCN0662.JPG

DSCN0663.JPG

If mama is happy, the whole houseis happy!  Yes, she likes it!

Bending the tube - it was still filled with sand and capped.  I clamped the tube in the vise and used a rose-bud torch to heat it section by section.  It took a while and I had to correct it a few times but it worked out well.  I used a fairly hefty bending fork for leverage...that tube does not bend easily.

Swedgemon, great job on the project. I haven’t seen the “old trick” of filling pipe with sand to bend it smoothly for several years, all the young people use the fancy benders, but the older craftspeople used the sand to keep the pipe/tubing from collapsing while bending. I’m happy to see that some of the old skills are still being used and passed on to people starting to learn how to move metal into the shape they want. I know when I try to explain it to people they look at me like I’m crazy, then when I show them they say that’s easy and I can’t believe it works