I Forge Iron

Need Advise, Forge wont light

R.C.Edmondson

Hello everyone, My name is Charlie Edmondson and I live in Alexander city, Alabama. I have always had my hand in metal working alittle bit. When my Grandfather was alive I would watch him forge things for fences abd small things like that. I am a small time fabricator and welder so I figured I would make my own forge. The fire pot is round pretty deep and I just got myself some coal. Now the coal is big chuncks that I had to break down and I was told it was from Russia. I have done everything a human can do to try and start it but it just wont start. Tomorrow I am going to the Tannehill,Al Forge council seminar and buy myself some good coal, So do any of you guys think its the coal? I have watched every single video on youtube and yahoo, mine just wont go? I wont so bad to start banging a hammer, any suggestions? Thanks for all comments and advise, Godbless,Charlie Edmondson

Build a nice fire out of dry kindling. Stoke it up well, and when it starts to develop real heat and a some coals, start adding your coal on the outside and begin pushing it in towards the center. As the wood burns out you should have your coal going to town.

Hey Charlie, I will be at Tannehill Saturday. Ricardo and I are going to go over and come home on Saturday. If you see a bald head and a name tag that says Lyle, speak up. I start my fires with three pieces of news paper balled up together like a mushroom. Light the bottom turn on the air, and put some coal around the newspaper but leave a hole somewhere, so the fire can breathe. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advise, I will definitely look for you lyle, I hope I see you thanks for everything you guys, Man I tried everything even lighter fluid, but I definitley wont try that again, Seems like when it geting in that ash dump it likes to go KA_BOOM, I will try everything you guys have offered, Thanks again so much,Charlie I will be looking for you lyle, Godbless to all