I Forge Iron

Welded fire pot verses a Cast iron, fire pot.

Arkans

Okay, so I am buying a used forge form a member on here, but that doesn't shut my brain off.  So here is my question for all the world to see,  So searching the internet Found Centaur Forge, and they have several Firepots for sale there for your forges.  some are Cast Iron and some are Welded,  Also I have seen several folks build Welded Firepots for forges else where on line.  Soo, here is the question,  If I design and build a large table forge say 32" x 36".  is it better to design it around a pre-built  cast iron firepot, or design a welded firepot to use with that table.  Ii know welded firepots work, but as I only have access to a small flux core welder, would the high Heat form the forge burn out my welds, or would it work just fine after claying?

Hey thanks for the information,and that is almost the same thing i was looking at doing, except I was adding a clinker breaker to mine, mainly cause i am lazy and don't want to have to pick out the clinker each time.  Which knowing my luck i will have to do anyways. 

A premade firepot will get you going faster and probably work just fine. Making your own can save you some money up front, but as a newbie, you should definitely follow an existing, already-proven design rather than trying to design something that you don't have the experience to estimate how well -- even whether or not -- it will work.

If you do weld up your own, heavier plate is definitely recommended: at least 1/2", more if you've got it. 

Well I am starting off with a forge I am going to buy from Twisted...  he has a round cast iron forge, it needs some work but I think I can get it going with little effort and a trip to a good scrap yard.  He also has a blower that will work great with it...