I Forge Iron

New Coal Forge

Houaha

i wanted to make a new coal forge since i am getting tired of my current one(brake drum forge, can't really heat a certain area of the metal with it, to small) i wanted to make one with a table type thing with a fire pot on one side with a blower(i want a crank blower but i may be on a budget) in want a hood to go over the fire pot so smoke doesn't blow everywhere(thats been a small problem lately, whenever i can use my forge the wind picks up a bit :P) i also want it to be on a simple stand(4-legged, with 2 wheels on one side for moving/storing) is there anything that i can use as a plan or can someone make me one please? i am not good a plans, lol

i know rthibeau but i don't really want to bother him much because i just met him, and i don't know exactly how big the brake drum is but its off a 1 ton truck thats all i know lol, um i would say about 9-11 inches, i don't really know about how big the fire but i want something i can learn easily on

The brake drum forge is 13" across with a 30" x 30" forge table. The edge has a 1-1/4" lip to contain the coal and coke. To build a fire, it will use half a 5 gallon bucket of coal, with some, on the table.

The fire pot on the small forge is about 3-3/4" dia and maybe 3" deep. The forge table is flat on top with no lip. All supports are on the under side. It only takes a couple of double hand fulls of coal for a fire. It was designed so the "sweet spot" is at the same level as the top of the table. This was for heating the middle sections of long stock for twists.

The difference in the two forges is more apparent when you heat say 1/4 x 1-1/2 x 20 inch stock. The small forge will heat just the end for 4" or so. The large forge will heat the whole length of the stock where it is uncomfortable to hold before the end gets to working temperature.

The pan or rivet forge is shown to compare size to the 55 Forge. BP0133 is the original 55 Forge and is 24 inches in diameter and that is a lot of fire. It is a very adaptable design.

You can see other forge designs at IForgeIron.com > Lessons in Metalworking > Blacksmithing > LB0003.0001 Blacksmithing Forges

There is little use to get several feet of metal hot if you can only work several inches with a hand hammer before you loose working heat. Big projects require a big fire, a big forge, and require a big hammer. Choose the forge that fits your style of work.

Big brakedrums can cause trouble with the hot spot being lower than the lip. My solution was to use a small brakedrum and drop in a sheetmetal "fence" that fit right inside the walls of the brake drumm and had a slot on one side where the edges of the fence came together and a mousehole on the other just over the lip of the brakedrum so the hot spot was above/at the lip of the brakedrum and a long piece of metal could be slid right through the hotspot and out the mousehole.

Note that a sidedraft "smoke sucker" works a whole lot better than having a hood over the firepot---*unless* the firepot is totally enclosed by the sides of the hood save for the work openings.

Well Buddy,
You don`t really need a huge fire which meanss you don`t need a huge FP. Youy you have a REAL large fire and working smaller stuff , cause if you have a large fire working smaller stuff youre wasting fuel which adda up on coal / coke costs. Now if your forging large items you probally need a large fire but I`d say you probally ain`t forging Super large items.

Chris

• 6 months later...

Hi 1st post
I was a apprentice with Doorman & Long steelworks Aclam works Middlesbrough U K.I then went in the British Army at 21years of age.I have never been behind a anvil since and that was 50 years ago.But have all ways been interested in blacksmithing going to places where demonstrations have been held and itching to get smithing but never have.

Edited by Salvobrass
Delete Spelling eror

Hi 1st post
I was a apprentice with Doorman & Long steelworks Aclam works Middlesbrough U K.I then went in the British Army at 21years of age.I have never been behind a anvil since and that was 50 years ago.But have all ways been interested in blacksmithing going to places where demonstrations have been held and itching to getting back to it but never have.Looking forward to all your topics.