I Forge Iron

Quenching after induction tempering

Hi,

We do induction hardening of a part followed that induction tempering in same cycle.

After induction tempering part is hot. Hence, we do 30 second air cooling then quench with polymer for safety handling purpose.

Part temperature will be 80˚C before polymer quenching. We have checked part for any presence of crack after above activity. There was no crack observed.

However, our customer objects that quenching shall not be done after induction tempering. We have explained them that part temperature will be lower during quenching and crack detection will be done. But customer is not accepting.

We like to know technically that whether quenching after induction tempering will have any impact on part.

Okay so maybe this isn't spam. What alloy tempers at 80c? Do you harden it with boiling water?

The customer obviously knows this heat treatment is nonsense. I'm thinking someone bought an induction heater cheap and wants to get into a trade they don't know anything about. 

I'd love to have an induction forge, a person could buy anvils that have been annealed in a structure fire and surface harden the face plate and allow the body to quench it. A little experimentation to determine the time and temp and it'd be a great way of recovering damaged anvils. Differential tempers on blades would be easy and fast.

Lots of potential but you have to know something about what you're doing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Could be but it'd have to be a pretty bad typo wouldn't it? I don't do enough heat treatment to make a good guess, though I suppose 800c is close to tempering range for some "common" alloys. 

Where does the polymer come in as anything but a finish? Certainly not a quenchant. 

I suppose a lot of the weirdness is translation software noise. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm with Steve on this.  Do what they want and charge them accordingly.   Our rule of thumb is give the customer what they want unless they ask for something unsafe or illegal.  If it's safe and legal just figure out how much to charge them so they can get what they want.  It's sometimes surprising how much people will pay to have it done the way they want it done, whether it makes sense or not.

Frosty, I’m guessing that the are just surface hardening large parts, then letting them self quench (like what you are think with fire damaged anvils). Then bringing the surface back up to a tempering range and by that time the base material is now too hot to cool down to a reasonable handling temperature. This is all a guess, but from some of the high production industrial processes I’ve seen it kind of make sense. The only that’s messing with me is the “polymer” quench. Bad translation of oil maybe, but who would use oil to cool from 80C? Still some strange inconsistencies…

Keep it fun,

David

That's a reasonable thought David and fits with translation software transliteration silliness. Perhaps they're doing a final cooling in a polymerizing oil to make a finish? Or heck some sort of purpose formulated product for same. 

Applying BLO to hot iron makes a long lasting corrosion resistant polymerized coating doesn't it? And WAY faster than letting it cure in air at ambient temps.

Frosty The Lucky.