I Forge Iron

Welding base of anvil

I have inherited a smaller anvil . It sat on dirt floor for yrs and base has rotted .     I want to build it back up with weld then have it milled flat .  Can I use 7018 rod ? Any prep other then cleaning ?    All I find on welding  anvil is welding the top but again this is the base .  Need built up on 1 corner at least 1/2 inimage.thumb.jpg.45d4d41220e02e21ad66909769e1398f.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Remove duplicate photo

First of all, welcome to the forum, if you put your general location on your profile you could meet nearby smiths who can help you as well.

If you put some metal on your stand to make the face level, you don't need to weld anything to the anvil. I have done the same by drilling a hole in a piece of bar stock, cut a square, and screwing it to a wooden anvil stand. works perfectly and you don't need to go to The expense and troubles of welding on the anvil.

~Jobtiel

Your anvil looks like a Wilkinson Queens Dudley and in pretty good shape for such an old gal. What is the weight? The anvil base would be wrought iron so as far as I know welding it with an arc welder can be tricky and take special rods.

I am of the same opinion about modifying the anvil stand as opposed to the anvil. Weld up a tripod stand and shim it until the anvil is level and solid then weld the shims to the stand.

Welcome aboard Robert, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance and nothing shortens the learning curve like an experienced mentor. 

If you compare the waist under the heel and horn you'll note they're a different radius, the foot under the horn is thicker. The slant isn't wear or age damage, it looks like it was made that way. I don't know why but it wasn't uncommon to make specialized anvils for certain jobs or types of work. A current example is the "Farrier" anvil with the specially shaped horn, clip horn, and and turning cams. 

As a guess for the heck of it. Having the horn at an upward angle like that might make turning rings, hooks, etc. easier and faster. 

Ditto building a stand to level it out rather than welding and milling the foot. Welding wrought iron is always chancy and anvils were NOT made from high end wrought, Big name brands were maybe single wrought but muck bar is more likely. Anyway, there are probably lots of impurities and inconsistent glassy slag and that makes picking a rod a MAJOR PITA.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree with Jobtiel.  Shim up the space between the anvil and the base with metal or wood so tht the top is level and Bob's you uncle.  No muss, no fuss, and a usable anvil.  I don't think I have ever seen an anvil damaged in quite this way before.  I agree with Frosty that it was probably manufactured that way for some specialized use.  You might have to attach it to the base a bit more stoutly under the horn area to resist any tendency to slide down the inclined plane of the shim.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

I had no sliding issues with using straps to hold the anvil, I have also put silicone caulk between the stand and the anvil, which dampens, and would also help resist sliding motions. alternatively you could use wood shims as there is less chance of sliding happening between wood and iron.

~Jobtiel

Thank you all for helping me with my anvil ,  I will take your advice and not weld but shim .     Hard for me not weld it since I made a living welding for last 35 yrs .  I’m just retired and going to try forging to keep busy .      I’m a beginner for sure .        I’m in dushore pa 18614 if anyone close who can teach me I’d appreciate it