I Forge Iron

QUANTUM NARGESA H3 Propane Gas Forge

MilwaukeeJon

Sorry if this topic has been covered or is the wrong place. I've been away from I Forge Iron for a while. The Quantum Nargesa forge is expensive but also said to be safer than most. Does anyone have any experience with these? Comments (other than it is very high priced....that is obvious).

Welcome back from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad you've rejoined us.

I can't comment on that brand of forge but I do have to ask safer how?  I've never thought of propane forges of being particularly dangerous given that with any forge you are dealing with hot metal and flammable gases.

The question I'd ask is whether it is quantitatively better than another brand and if so, is that advantage worth the extra cost.  One thing I would be looking at and something that I see in a lot of propane forges is how much dragon's breath it is putting out.  IMO, less is much better.  I use a modified sandia forge which has a chimney to vent upwards and have little or no drangon's breath at the doors.  IR radiant heat, yes, but no flame.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I just watched the marketing video on their website. I don't know how much I buy but it's a pretty good looking burner and I didn't see any dragon's breath from a doorway but they didn't use camera angles that'd show it particularly. Their claim is the flame is so efficient there's less than 1% CO produced.

I like the flame shape and the forge looks professional slick. 

$2,550 for a 2 burner I don't know you'd have to do quite a bit to make it pay for itself. I didn't do a conversion from metric to compare propane usage so I can't opine. It looked like it was burning clean and hot so I'd expect it to use fuel efficiently. 

It's designed with a full width open doorway and two removeable pass throughs for long work. I don't know how a long 4" tall opening down one side can be more fuel efficient unless your work requires it anyway.

If someone out there uses or buys one please let us know.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have not looked into it but I know you can get low values for CO  by running your burner oxidizing---terrible for forging IMNSHO; but low on CO; the safety you gain from low CO might be lost in more time removing scale with a grinder or wire wheel.   Since I came into smithing through blades; I tend to run reducing and have MASSIVWE ventilation to deal with possible CO issues.

So, I looked them up, and was impressed with their price, and nothing else about them. If you want a top flight fancy forge at a fancy price, try looking into Chili Forge. I know they are worth their cost. As to this forge, I think the seller has a lot of nerve, and that's about all he has going for him, so far as I can see!

As to 1 percent Co; how about zero percent? If you are willing to put up with scale buildup on your work, it is no problem to achieve. I've been doing it since 2000, and teaching others how too. The guys are right; put that extra money in a good exhaust system.

Well, in the first place, the ceramic wool fibers are not considered as carcinogenic until after they reach incandescent temperatures a few times, and their amorphous glass content becomes crystalline; at this point they are supposed to be shielded behind solid layers of hard refractory and finish coats.