I Forge Iron

New from Maine

Brad83

Hello, I got my first forge this past winter and it’s turned into an obsession.  I am located in northern Penobscot county and am interested in learning from another smith.  I do plan on taking a class maybe next year at curren homestead.  Happy forging yall

Welcome aboard! You should put your location in your profile settings, as that will help us provide you with good region-specific answers in other discussions.

If you haven't yet, you should connect with New England Blacksmiths (www.newenglandblacksmiths.com), which is the local affiliate of the Artist-Blacksmiths Association of North America (ABANA). Great bunch of people, and very supportive. Bob Menard of Ball and Chain Forge in Portland is very active in NEB. You are also fortunate to be near the New England School of Metal Work in Auburn (newenglandschoolofmetalwork.com); you should definitely check them out. Liberty Tool Company is worth a visit.

Make sure you READ THIS FIRST, and keep us posted on your progress!

Good Morning Brad,

Welcome from the Left Coast, hows the East Coast.

Working with someone is a wonderful way to figure out habits, good and bad. It's all "Larnin'". Mistakes are not a negative, you just figured out a way that doesn't work, YET! Soon you will show the world another way. Be proud of TRYING. There is no such thing as a re-Invention. It either is an Invention, or it is knot!!

Don't be shy to touch base with other people in your area. The information base is HUGE. Enjoy the journey, there is no Destination.

Neil