I Forge Iron

Forge or bomb?

try using some notebook paper inside light the paper then turn on the burner if i take to long to long to light my T-burner i get a large amount of propane vapor in the air and this can cause a loud sound as it ignites. 

I have no experience with forced air or ribbon burners but it might light easier if you reduce air flow ??

others who know more will probably come by and provide a better opinion but that gives you a start point

M.J.Lampert

Turn down the propane pressure and start the flame with the blower off and then increase the blower and the propane alternating till you get the burn you want! And yes the flame will be yellow before the air starts up.  You want the flame correct at the end of lighting and adjusting, not the start.

The blown burner at the University had a 3' dragon's breath and nobody wanted to use it.  They had marked the regulator body to show the correct setting for the handle. I backed the regulator off 3 complete turns and had the "correct" setting lined up again and a usable forge.

Learn to tune by eye and ear and NEVER worry about gauges!   

Update,

Order of operation is key! I compare it to lighting an oxyacetylene torch. Straight fuel to start and then add the air. 

I got a little worried when I shut it down after the first real heat and I could hear the remnants of wax for the crayons sizzling out of the burner. 

Overall a fun build! 

I'm considering adding a PID and solenoid valve for heat control. 

20220424_145206.jpg

20220424_161828.jpg

20220428_193342.jpg

20220428_192331.jpg

I had the same blower when i first built mine i had to upgrade to more cfm's for better control not sayin its your problem but it was mine...Our forges look pretty cloase except i didn't paint mine i went to a bigger green blower 135 cfms i beleave it made a big differance.