I Forge Iron

Small shop layout

Jura T

If all goes well I will start building a workshop in about month (it was about to get started already two months ago, but all didn't go well :-( ). It's going to be fairly small: inside measures 4.2mx6.3m (13.8'*20.7'). Unfortunately it cannot be any bigger than that. The inside height will be 2.25m (7.4') in the other side and 3.3m (10.8') the other side. I'm trying figure out to use the space as effectively as possible. You can see current layout idea in the picture; the side where the forge is, is going to be the higher side. Is there anything you would alter, or any other suggestions?

8020.attach

Looks ok, for me though I always put my anvil so I only have to turn 90 degrees from forge to anvil, I think it is probably mostly personal preference but it does help (me at least) when welding, the faster I can get from fire to hammer when welding always ups my success rates.
Just a sugestion.
Congradulations on getting a new shop.

welder19

Well since you will be doing large gates it's not nearly spread out enough---oh you are doing small stuff like knives?--- well it's too spread out.

Kind of hard to tell you what needs to be changed if we don't know how it's going to be used!

But look at your general work triangle. If you are working fairly small stuff everything should be about a twist and a step away. My actual forging area is an open area about 6' square with workbench with the gasser and a small postvise along one side, the tong, hammer and tooling rack along another side 90deg to that, the anvils along the open side and another workbench with a large post vise on the side opposite to the forge and the large screw press off beyond the anvils. I need to move some of the anvils out of the way and the flypress closer as I want to try some billet welding with it. Actually they will be moving out into the coal forge extension this winter I hope, it's being set up for larger work.

For larger stuff I use a forge outside to get the swing room needed currently but hope to get the new extension built soon.

Currently my shop is 20'x30' and the forge is in the last 10' of that 30 and about 1/2 the width. I hope to double the length with the addition for the "dirty shop" stuff, coal forges grinders, welders, etc. and keep a gasser in the old "clean shop" building.

BTW I have been smithing since about 1981 and this is my 8th or so shop and the first to be built to my specs. One thing I did do was to have a 10'x10' roll up door at either end of the shop along the prevailing wind direction to ventilate it throughly when using the gasser!

Well since you will be doing large gates it's not nearly spread out enough---oh you are doing small stuff like knives?--- well it's too spread out.

Kind of hard to tell you what needs to be changed if we don't know how it's going to be used!

It's probaly going to be mainly small stuff (candle holders, knives etc) at least at first.

When it comes to the position of the anvil and leg vise and other small stuff I can experiment when the shop is ready. Right now I have to nail down the position of the power hammer (because of the foundation) and the coal forge (because of the chimney). I'll probably add a gas forge sometime later on...

One problem with shop is that I'm living in suburban area with other houses very close by. The closest house after mine will be about 15 meters (50') away from the shop. So, I need the take of the possible vibration and sound issues really carefully.

i think the shop is great, i mean i do all my stuf in a 7'*4' area. i agree with welder you should have the anvil at a 90d angle from the forge, you should have a removable post vice near your slack tub (in posting on the pic not if you move it) or your welding table. have a aneling bucket or stand out side and a area were you can add on the your shop if it gets to crouded.(post vices are a dime a dozen so dont pay over 80 for a EXELENT one)
syd

hammerhandsyd, please go to the grfeen bar at the top of the forum page, click on user cp and enter your location. Several blacksmiths would be interested in supplying a dime for a dozen post vises if we only knew where they were located.

I use my coal forge under a big carport ... then i have a clean room thats 10x15 then my propane forge and nimba anvil and a small 3x4 table that is 10 x15 my post vice is on a plate so its movable but the plate is big enuff to stand on so it dont move when i dont want it to....all my stuff is movable so you can rearrange for new additions or different work....grinders outside....Portability

• 2 weeks later...