I Forge Iron

Tips for buying vise

natkova

Hi all after I traveled couple of kilometres cough :rolleyes: miles, i bought it tried how screw go , didint saw thread because there is pipe over it, but it is good I think I like horn shaped part of it that look like anvil it cost me around 60 euros like 50 dollars which in Bosnia is not cheap price , maybe middle one 

I carried it in trunk didn't tied it but it was heavy so it wasn't moving  to much in my Peugeot.

Now I will have to think of how to mount it .

But it have holes, sure maybe new workbench will be need for it 

Comparing to old vise it's 100% better.

IMG_20220521_223011.jpg

IMG_20220521_223104.jpg

Natkova - congratulations. That vise would cost probably at least three times that price in the USA, but I realize prices vary a lot with location. Glad you got it home safe. 

If the leg is too short for your current bench and you don't want to build a separate stand, I have seen a leg vise mounted on top of some dense wood blocks. The block that had the leg set on it had about a 2 inch (~5cm) hole to hold the leg in and the whole thing was spiked into the ground.

Thanks.

I will see maybe i will use stump for it and leave this machinist vise to be at this height.
Maybe 2 foot 60 cm height is good for smithing vise.

I will again reconsider my decsision.

Nat, if damaging the bench top is a concern cut a larger piece of plate that spreads the force farther across the bench top. drill it to secure to the bench AND the vise plate. It wouldn't need to be very thick to reinforce the bench significantly. Hmmm?

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting covering the whole bench top with steel, just making a larger connection where the vise bolts down.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for advice , but this thing is heavy to unscrew and put together again to bench, lol heavier than my anvil, and that won't resolve problem because vise want to pull board out of nail joinery , not like to split it but really pry board out, not so hard, but 2 inch thick pine board wiggle a bit 

Now I feel it's completed, without leg it was like crippled:(, I like this way more 

But thanks guy for advice, jaws are in good condition .

Maaybee because I used machinist vise on old bench this vice is a bit taller but that is small issues to consider.

On both side stick tacked with 3.25 mm electrode 

If this world give away always U thread can be used with in flat steel and nuts to support it and tighten both legs.

About 1/2 inch square is welded to previous leg 

IMG_20220522_201404.jpg

IMG_20220522_201356.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

Offset and small crossection size of leg extension would be a concern for me.  Ideally you want it to be centered and matching the existing taper at the point of connection.  

Best "fix" for this would be to forge weld on a leg extension, but that is a 2 person task, and each should be fairly experienced.  Second best would be to find an experienced welder to add on the inline leg extension.  I would suspect this may be a wrought iron vise, so that also needs to be taken into consideration.

You think leg will break apart at weld?

Why offset is concern:
I did this with leg becasue vise was realy hanging on edge off bench.
So this way it suport it better and if it is broken abart at welding point i can always insert pipe in it if that is concern.

I think i wont beat it hard enaugh so leg separate but i must admit i was in hurry and i did this for esthetic purpuses too.

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

At this point I would use it till it does.  I know that for how hard I use my post vise I'd likely bend a 1/2" square leg, but is kind of hard to tell from your photo what the proportions are.  Just use it till it doesn't work the way you want it too, and fix it afterwards.

• 8 months later...

I will fix it i have 1 inch wich is slightly bigger now, older one rod bent.

I upset bar of one inch, just for look and for less impact on concrate.

Issue is now I think after upsetting and drawing out it then should be cut to length desired , as we know drawing out and upsetting change bar length.

IMG_20230130_180924.jpg