I Forge Iron

Welding Steel/Iron

i was wondering how can i weld steel/iron together? i don't know what temp it needs to be at(i would guess white hot) and then how would i weld it together after its that temp? would i just hammer them together? :confused:

if u need to know what i use for my forge its a basic brake drum forge and for coal i use anthracite chestnut sized coal.

There are myriad welding processes, but I'm guessing you're referring to firewelding/forgewelding.

Firewelding is considered to be the most arcane of the smith's techniques. There are many variables to look for. Rather than ramble on in my n00bishly ignorant way, I'll point you to a good article:

BP0093

There are more around the internet. Use your favourite search engine, take a look at the resource lists provided on this forum, buy/borrow some good books.

Please be specific welding wrought iron to steel was a very common technique, one tip is to put the WI side *down* in the fire as it can take more heat than the steel in the weld. It's what I do when I steel a WI chisel or axe.

Welding cast iron to steel is not done with blacksmith methods; brazing being the blacksmith method of attaching one to the other.

Note there is a technique of using cast iron to hardface steel by "crayoning" it onto the steel when the steel and cast iron heated to near cast iron melting temps.

Edited by ThomasPowers
Better Mike?

Find a mentor, then practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.