I Forge Iron

Where do you buy knife steel?

Mr.Thirsty_Work

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and build a forging press so I can take obnoxiously shaped steel and squish it into a useful shape. But is anyone else having trouble sourcing hi carbon steel in typical flat bar sizes? I can find all kinds of 1095 or 1084 in 1.5" width, but I tend to make larger knives. 2" is kind of a minimum for me. Those don't seem to exist anymore. 15n20 is not available any thicker than 0.06!!!! 80crv2 is almost non existent. I'm getting so frustrated. I've got about six people waiting for me to make them knives, & I can't buy any steel! 

Where do you get yours, and in what typical sizes?

Purchasing known, quality raw materials is NOT biting the bullet, It's doing it right. Unless your market is FOR scrounged mystery metal blades that is, then who cares.

Also, don't post the same question in multiple places. It won't get answers faster and worse for you makes the mods and admin less than pleased with you for being pointlessly annoying.

Frosty The Lucky.

I think you're missing the point, Frosty. As I understand Mr. Thirsty_Work, he's not looking to use mystery metal, but is having trouble sourcing known steel in flat bar large enough for the projects he wants to make. In other words, he's thinking of getting a press to squish larger stock of known steel down to knife-blank size. Am I right, MTW?

Looks like the mods have fixed the multiple post issue. Given that the two were identical, I'm guessing there was probably a software glitch or something; I've had that happen to me once or twice.

You're right John, I should've read his post again. Multiple posts happen pretty often, I should've assumed a software glitch. I'll have to watch my responses till I'm less short tempered. Sometimes I just don't know till  a while after I've been grouchy.

My apologies MTW, my bad. 

There's Steve with the supplier source link. If there's ANYTHING you need / use not listed, post a link. 

How about posting some pictures of your blades? We LOVE pics. :) 

Frosty The Lucky.

47 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I think you're missing the point, Frosty. As I understand Mr. Thirsty_Work, he's not looking to use mystery metal, but is having trouble sourcing known steel in flat bar large enough for the projects he wants to make. In other words, he's thinking of getting a press to squish larger stock of known steel down to knife-blank size. Am I right, MTW?

Looks like the mods have fixed the multiple post issue. Given that the two were identical, I'm guessing there was probably a software glitch or something; I've had that happen to me once or twice.

That's exactly right JHCC. I've been wanting to build a press for awhile now, but it's hard to justify the expense for a weekend hobby.

38 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You're right John, I should've read his post again. Multiple posts happen pretty often, I should've assumed a software glitch. I'll have to watch my responses till I'm less short tempered. Sometimes I just don't know till  a while after I've been grouchy.

My apologies MTW, my bad. 

There's Steve with the supplier source link. If there's ANYTHING you need / use not listed, post a link. 

How about posting some pictures of your blades? We LOVE pics. :) 

Frosty The Lucky.

No worries Frosty. I understand the short tempered response. It was my foul mood that prompted this post <_< I thought it was strange that I had to push the "post" button twice. And I'll be sure to post a couple pictures of what I've been doing lately.

STEVE S - thanks for that list!

That's a pretty good selection. It'd be a job of work drawing that width from thicker stock alright. Is your touchmark etched? 

Other than  brushing I'm not a big knife guy and no bladesmith. They look pretty nice to me from here. 

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Mr.Thirsty_Work said:

push the "post" button twice

I've had that happen before also. Sometimes it looks like the forum didn't "post it" so it makes ya think, I must have forgot to push the button. I've had it happen when creating a new thread and when replying to an existing one when hitting Submit Reply and it just sits there as if it is thinking. Kinda frustrating with a long post though.

13 minutes ago, Chad J. said:

I like the file work.  Do you epoxy it on the back of the handle to fill the gaps?

I did. The only change I would make is to use an epoxy dye so it's not the typical yellow-ish transparent look.

If anybody else is looking for the same answer I was, here's what I found. Etsy gave a pretty good selection, decent prices, and often free shipping.

I did use the list Steve S provided, but most everything on there was 'sold out' at the moment. NJ Steel Baron looked great, but was also sold out of everything. Hope this could help someone too.