I Forge Iron

Anvil indentification help

Hello, 

My name is Nick, from Maryland. Long time lurker, first time posting. Recently bought this anvil and am having some trouble identifying it. Hoping someone can help.

Only the faintest markings left, I can barely make out what I think is an “AR” and a “194” underneath. I can’t see any indication that a plate has been welded to the top. I don’t have a ball bearing handy to test, but it does bouce back a hammer quite well. The place I picked it up said it weighs 154#, which seems reasonable to me but I have not weighed it. Seems like a good anvil all in all, but I’d like to know more about it out of curiosity’s sake. 

thanks for any help!

Nick

8B76B42D-F8A0-40F3-A5FD-2F73ED55D5BB.jpeg

8C51F148-D735-4D89-8458-71FC0DF4C86D.jpeg

9049197C-07DD-4A5F-96F2-804D8BE72D10.jpeg

EBC3A100-2D9E-4478-8DA6-52B9196B69BA.jpeg

Welcome aboard Nick, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

She's got miles on her but looks to be in outstanding condition. There were a number of high quality cast steels made in the last century or two, Brooks and Vaughn come to mind. Could be Swedish cast steel but most I've seen have the foundry or retailer's name cast proud, nor is there any edge chipping.

How does she move iron for you?

Frosty The Lucky. 

Flat, not concave like some I’ve seen, no additional markings that I can see. 

Nick

6582E152-FDFF-4E64-8B5A-09F0D177D480.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Nick, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

She's got miles on her but looks to be in outstanding condition. There were a number of high quality cast steels made in the last century or two, Brooks and Vaughn come to mind. Could be Swedish cast steel but most I've seen have the foundry or retailer's name cast proud, nor is there any edge chipping.

How does she move iron for you?

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thanks for the info Frosty, will do! 

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

We won't remember your location once leaving this thread, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile. Then it shows up with every post. That way we won't dun ya when the answer requires knowing where in the world you are casting a shadow.

Wish I could help with the ID of your anvil but have to say if it rings and has rebound it is a good one. The only thing it needs is hot steel hammered on it to make the face shine.

Looks more like a Brooks or Vaughn to me. Sisco never put dates on their anvils and the last pic looks like it has a date of 194? The overall shape doesn't look like my Sisco and Siscos were only imported a few years early in the 1900's unless it's a weight stamp. Use the flower trick to see if you can make out more of the stamp.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Upon further investigation, I’d agree, it definitely looks like a brooks. Very similar markings to an anvil I found posted on Facebook back in 2019. Close enough that I’d feel comfortable saying it’s the same thing. Here’s a couple screenshots of that anvil for comparison. 

Nick

4BFD397D-9F44-4398-BEC0-5EDB975F76B5.png

F4F3439A-CD72-4839-B2C7-3D0949CDE6DE.png