I Forge Iron

Post leg vice id

Tim carson

Sorry I can't help with an ID. However taking pics of iron straight on with a direct flash causes reflection that washes out details. Next time try dusting it with chalk or even flour, wiping it off LIGHTLY and lighting it at a shallow angle from one side. Oblique lighting. The flour and shadows cast by surface details will bring out stamped in characters more distinctly.

How important is it to know the makers? Are you going to be using them or looking to flip them. You aren't going to get much interest putting them on display. If you're going to take up the craft their mechanical condition rules. The screw and screw box condition is everything.

They look great.

Frosty The Lucky.

No, dust some flour over the letters and then wipe it off the surface. As Frosty noted above, this will leave flour in the letters themselves, making them easier to read. Also, the lighting in your last photo is still too harsh; try a soft light coming from a low angle to the side and no flash.

(Also, I'm not sure what you meant by that comment, but I suspect that the moderators might consider it suggestive of something not appropriate to a family-friendly forum. Might want to change that.)

When I look at this picture that I took I can see all the letters The flash doesn't affect anything so I'm not sure what's going on between here and there the problem is I can't see in between the letters because there's nothing to see it's like you know scratched out or whatever but here's another picture just for the heck of it I know that if someone has one like it they're going to recognize those letters and know what it is

IMG_20220330_075728692_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220330_075731493_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220330_075803971_HDR.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I had an older Columbian that looked just like that and had the weight (50), date (1916) and the name (you can see the "ian" above the 6) all in the same spots as yours.  You have to look close but it is visible in this photo.  In a different light I could make out other letters in Columbian.

20210724_135759.thumb.jpg.a1e11669468288e4e90092e39f1c32bb.jpg