I Forge Iron

Soderfors... Single Horn, or Double?

So, I am buying 2 more anvils.  The one I've already decided on is Refflinghaus.  Now, I'm trying to decide between these 2 Soderfors, and I wanted to see what you guys think.  One is a 225 lb. double horn(1922).  The other is a 315 pound single horn (1932).  The price difference is negligible.  I know Frosty loves his Soderfors, so I'm hoping he will chime in on this.  Here are a few pics...

1356271571_image(21).thumb.jpg.d811e02e339767dbd5e95617b3eb3a04.jpg

1776012215_image(23).thumb.jpg.0d224191f7bcf8c0254690268411034a.jpg

85141309_image(25).thumb.jpg.11035254b4016d96d5b1ce5939456d93.jpg

And the single horn...

1848954722_image(27).thumb.jpg.7ae400bc1908367b75de06a546431144.jpg

1044049343_image(28).thumb.jpg.386df6a17d5fb930d7ce698413e51763.jpg

*Wipes drool from keyboard*

Honestly, both! If that's not an option.... You really can't go wrong wither way... Hm... I guess I would go with the 315#er since the price/lb is better. The double horn is pretty though...

What are the prices, if I may ask?

P.S. I have a 151# Soderfors and I love it. The first thing you'll need to do is quiet the ring, but there are worse problems to have.

First of all, I appreciate your opinion.  Now...  I'm not saying the price is good, but the double-horn is $1310, and the single-horn is $1381.  Yes, that's expensive, but what's not these days?  I'm the kind of person that would rather spend more money on something I love, than try to save money and not be happy with it.

I've heard Frosty and others talk about how loud the Soderfors can ring, but I will probably mount it to wood, and I've got plenty of chain to wrap around it.  I also have other anvils I can use if noise becomes a concern.  I like the idea of a heavier anvil, but I also feel that double-horns have a slightly more useful design.  Of course...  it all boils down to what you like, and what you're doing.  I must say, I'm leaning toward the double-horn at this point, but still want to hear what others have to say.

Double horns can be very useful, and that would probably be my choice. The difference in weight probably isn't going to make any significant difference for a single smith or even a smith with a striker.

As for the noise, a metal stand and a layer of silicone caulk or construction adhesive between the anvil and the stand will do wonders for killing the ring.

Thanks for your opinion, and the advice.  I will definitely keep the steel stand with silicone in mind.  I was thinking about adding small but heavy duty steel castors to the bottom of the stand so I can easily roll them around my shop.

I wonder if the small amount of pitting on the double-horn is something I should be concerned with?

Price-wise that's not too bad all things considered ($4.38 and $5.82/lb). However, like JHCC (and you) say there is more to an anvil than just that. Again, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I've seen people put wheels on the side of the stand then tip the stand/anvil onto the wheels and roll it around. Like a hand truck. That way you aren't relying on the wheels during normal use.

I wouldn't worry about the pitting that much, but that's me. There is still a lot of smooth area to either side of the sweet spot and it will slowly become less pronounced with use.

I'm glad to hear that the price isn't really out of line.  I was a little concerned I might be over-paying, but then again, my previous comment on paying up for quality still stands.

Also glad to hear the pitting isn't much of an issue.  I don't know if this applies, or if it might have a desirable effect, but I thought it might give the work piece a little grip.  Of course...  if that were true, they would probably all have that incorporated into the design.

I would think about what you plan on blacksmithing. Bladesmithing and blacksmithing you can get away with a block anvil like what Japanese bladesmiths use. You can pick up blocks of steel for pennies on the dollar. I picked up a Sisco/Söderfors anvil for $100 I love the looks of both anvils but I personally wouldn't pay that price + shipping when I am just a hobbiest blacksmith. If I was a professional blacksmith then I would think of getting a "better" anvil but My beat up anvil has been able to do everything that I have asked if it and has paid itself off many times over.

I definitely understand.  I saw a video of a master bladesmith in Japan forge out an absolutely amazing knife on a small square block of steel.  Looked like it wasn't much more than 6"x6".  Personally, I've found myself to be fairly adept at getting the job done with little resources.  However, I find it satisfying and enjoyable to splurge on some tools of the trade when economically feasible.  Like they say...  you only live once, and you can't take it with you.

I had some time to sleep on it, and I wanted to go ahead and secure these anvils, so I made my decision.  Like JHCC said, the difference in weight will likely not be enough to matter much.  That being said, I went with my gut feeling and got the double-horn.  I sure appreciate your thoughts and input!  It will be a while, but I'm really looking forward to seeing these when they get here.

4 hours ago, FlatLiner said:

That's a beautiful anvil. I would love to have one in that style and size but I don't have the discretionary funds for one right now.

Thanks.  I think so too.  It really stings to spend that kind of money on something that I don't have to have, but what's the point in living and working if you can't enjoy it every now and then?

2 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I think the double horn is a wise choice. I don't have one but have used at least 2 double horn anvils at ESSA and really love them. If one were to come around my way, I wouldn't hesitate to snatch it up.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I'm a bit late to the party, but gladly chime in.

The double horn is a bit more unusual than the London pattern for Söderfors.  For some reason around here in Sweden, when the double horn version pops up, they are usually beat to xxxx.  Yours is a very nice example and since you seem to like Kohlswa, this is the obvious choice.

In regards to splurging on your purchase.  I absolutely believe that having a tool, in this case your new anvil, that you love, makes the whole process of doing what we do that much more enjoyable.   I sometimes go out to the workshop just to stand and look at my favorite pieces.  The wife thinks I'm nuts...

You will have the company of a terrific piece of equipment at your side for the rest of your life.  For what is probably the difference of just a few nights on the town dining-out. 

Edited by Mod30
Language

Thanks for the advice.  I definitely believe in owning quality tools/equipment.  I'm like you...  I don't have to have a reason to go to my shop, other than to admire some of the things I've been lucky enough to acquire over the years.