I Forge Iron

homemade diy garden cart

angiolino

M274 military mule half scale home build - DIY Go Kart Forum | Diy go kart,  Go kart, Go kart kits

hi I need some advice, I would like to build a cart for the garden, you will tell me use the wheelbarrow, but the cart has 4 wheels that unload the weight on the ground while the wheelbarrow 1, I would need to understand what material to use which wheels and how to make it steering, on the net I have seen all kinds of stores sell it very expensive and are not robust. I would need it to transport stones, bricks, wood and other heavy materials that are inconvenient for me to carry with the wheelbarrow. the ground is not compact it has little lift so in my opinion you need the right wheels. how would you do what size to make the frame, how much maximum I can load it clearly should be the replacement of the tracked wheelbarrow but with muscle traction and not a tracked engine. what do you recommend? the ground and sloping moraine with steps and terracing is bumpy in some points it is therefore not very compact, when it rains it blows into a swamp, thanks.

image_2_145510.jpg

image_2_145510.jpgimage_4_145510.jpg

Specifiche

• Colore: Verde
  • Materiale: Acciaio
  • Dimensioni complessive: 86 x 46,5 x 97 cm (L x P x A)
  • Dimensioni del vano del carrello: 86 x 46 x 41 cm (L x P x A)
  • Lunghezza maniglia: 84 cm
  • Diametro della ruota: 25,5 cm
  • Capacità massima di carico: 350 kg
  • Ruote in gomma PU
  • I pannelli laterali possono essere aperti
  •  

Heavy Duty Steel Utility Garden Cart High Capacity Made In The Usa -  Contemporary - Wheelbarrows And Garden Carts - by Saving Shepherd | Houzz

Monster Cart - 30"W x 60"L - Growers Supply

Large tires do better on rough ground.  A low center of gravity load is more stable and less likely to turn over.  Making two light to medium weight trips are better than one heavy trip. 

4 Wheel borrow tires will work.  Look at wagon front ends for ideas for steering.

Also look for log sleds, pan sleds, etc.  Even a car hood can be turned into a sled when turned upside down.

Log Cabin Antiques & Gifts: Old wooden sled

Hunting Sled in Canada | Iron Baltic

Plans and Projects - CopperMoon Advanced Retreat Center

The friction between the sled and the ground can be reduced by running it across tree limbs or other wood as rollers, sked roads, skid paths, etc  Look up skid roads for logging.

I have bike wheels and could make this | Garden cart ...

This type of garden carte was popular several years ago.

When we moved to our current house I had to replace my old wheel barrow.  Instead of a one wheel barrow I bought a 4 wheel Gorilla brand (I think they are the same folk as the tape makers) cart.  It has been one of my very useful purchases and a great improvement over a wheel barrow.  It has a molded plastic body on a square tube steel frame with 4 pneumatic tires.  One feature that I have found very useful is that the body dumps to the rear.  It is actually pivoted near the center of the body so that when the bed is dumped to the rear the rear set of tires moves forward.  It has moulded holes in the plastic body so that boards or stakes can be inserted to raise the sides for hauling bulky but less dense loads.  The rated capacity is 1200 pounds (545 kg).  As I recall it cost about $US 125.

I'm not sure that the brand is available in Italy or if it is at a comparable price but you might go to the company's web site for design ideas.  I have no ideas about where to buy components for a cart except to suggest the European equivalent of Amazon or Ebay.

Good luck and we'd LOVE to see pictures.  Small carts are a very handy item which blacksmiths can use to move things too heavy to carry.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks George; we saw one of those carts on the way home from work and it looked just like what we need; but I told my wife we would have to see if it had pneumatic tires  as the thorns out here even give cars problems at times.  Now I don't have to track it down.  (I finally replaced the wheels on my 2 wheel dolly with solid ones from a zero turn commercial lawn mower as even lining the pneumatic ones with fire hose and putting in tubes wouldn't last.)

I like the 4GCG-NF 4 cu/ft. dump cart. The NF means no flat tires. The Amazon price is $179.99 but we have Amazon prime so it's only$128 W/free shipping. I've replaced the pneumatic tires on our wheel barrows with foam filled tires. 

Thanks George that's my kind of cart.

Frosty The Lucky.

After looking at the Gorilla Cart web site I realize that mine is the 7 cubic foot model.  I highly recommend it.  I think I would find the 4 cubic foot model a bit on the petite side.  One thing that I have learned when hauling dirt is to only fill it about 2/3 full.  That is about as much as I can pull by myself.  If you had a garden tractor you could fill it as far as you can go but lifting the end to dump could get heavy.  The 13" wheels do very well over uneven prairie grass.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I'm sold except maybe the pneumatic tires. The 10 cu/ft. 1,500lb. model looks good too. Bummer, I don't have an ATV or livestock to clean up after or bulk stuff to haul around in one. 

Guess I'll live with my wheel barrow. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Güde Gartentechnik Gartenwagen GARTENWAGEN GGW 500 - 94315 FSL94315-01

Güde Gartenwagen Bollerwagen GGW 500

Güde Gartenwagen Bollerwagen GGW 500

Volumen Mulde:   225 l
Max. Zuladung:   500 kg
Max. Zuladung beim Kippen:   250 kg
Reifengröße:   16" x 4.00 - 8
Höhe mit Griff:   1040 mm
Länge:   1.410 mm
Breite:   810 mm
Höhe:   740 mm
Nettogewicht:   31,17 kg
Bruttogewicht:  

35,65 kg

Bollerwagen Holz Handwagen Transportwagen | Kaufland.de

Güde Gartentechnik Gartenwagen GARTENWAGEN GGW 250 - 94336 FSL94336-01

the problem is not the frame of the cart, I msa the wheels, the axles and the supports to fix it to the structure, I would not want to go to a turner's workshop to have them made too expensive I know, I would like to make them with objects that I can adapt and find around, buy the shopping cart is very expensive for me, thanks for the right suggestions.

I don't know about Italy but here you can buy foam filled tires on wheels with sealed bearings. I'd make the cart with a length of round stock long enough to accept a keeper pin. Feed the round bar through a length of square tubing with a bushing on each end to hold the axle is position is pretty simple. 

The sealed bearing on the wheels have centers that extend beyond the rotating part of the bearing so all you need is a washer and cotter pin to keep it where you want it.

The foam filled tire/wheel I bought to get away from flat tires on my wheel barrow uses a 5/8" diameter axle. Even mild steel would carry a ton on 4 tires. If I were worried I'd look through my coil spring pile for one with 5/8" dia. wire, straighten it and just normalize it after straightening. 

Frosty The Lucky.