I Forge Iron

What brand of power hammer, size and what kind?

Hey all

I am now looking to buy a power hammer but i dont really know which weight class i should be looking at or if a Self contained air hammer is better than a mechanical.

I usually work smaller stock but i also want to have capacity to take on bigger work, including production work, in the near future.

I have been looking at three power hammer brands and one used one.

The first one is an old, used but refurbished spring hammer which has a ram weight of 70kg (yes, thats correct. you a writing to someone from the metric system)

The brand is Strojaren Prako from the czech republik from 1964, but is currently in germany. The price is 7500 euro or 8260 usd and can be shipped immediately

Billedforhåndsvisning

The next one is a brand new turkish power hammer called Tanerd.

It has a ram weight of 40kg and is a selfcontained power hammer and its price is 8890 euro or 9791 usd

it CAN be equipped with a lubrication system.

LH_40.jpg.6d2e4551cb81f0999025fa7f0ffa0403.jpg

We move on to the next one which is a brand new Say-Mak also a turkish hammer and is located in southern germany.

the cheapest one is a 50kg selfcontained power hammer and its price is 13566 euro or 14942 

SPH 50 Luftschmiedehammer

Next up is the Anyang selfcontained power hammer brand new and is located in germany (same dealer as the Say-mak)

It has a ram weight of 40kg and costs 13780 euro or 15177 usd

AN-40 L Luftschmiedehammer

Now, i have also been looking at the 75 kg version of the Anyang power hammers which i can get from france, brand new for 18500 euro or 20376 usd.

I would like to hear your opinions on these machines and share some info. However, it should be noted that all  hammers comes with one set of dies and the prices are without transportation fees and taxes and i cannot simply drive to the dealers to test the machines because that would take at least a whole day of traveling  through germany and that it just not possible if i want to keep my job.

I have never used a power hammer before, so any advice and info will help me greatly and also point me to some other posts if you think that will help me as well and perhaps some pros and cons about these machines. And keep in mind that i am looking to do some production work on these machines as well.

Thanks 

I have nothing to offer by way of advice or experience, other than two observations:

1. I have heard good things about Anyang and Say-Mak, but nothing about any of the others. There are Anyang clones on the market, though, that are reportedly of a lower quality. I think Johanes Angele is the authorized Anyang dealer in Germany and also carries Say-Mak -- is he the dealer you were thinking of using?
  2. The MOST IMPORTANT piece of advice I can give you is to get some training and experience BEFORE you buy, especially since you say that you haven't used a power hammer before. A power hammer can seriously injure you or even kill you, so know what you're getting into before you make either a purchase or a bad mistake.

Thanks for the advice. I do work with powerful machines on a daily basis so i know that there is a lot of power behind the power hammers and i also know that you should'nt fear the machine but respect it for what it can do. And it is Johanes Angele i am thinking of buying from.

I do appreciate any advice, warnings or tips and tricks. Any info is of much help to me.

Manufacturer support is really the key for getting one of these.  You will inevitably have to deal with repairs and maintenance at some point, and good support is key.  That is certainly one issue with going with an older mechanical, you really need to have the chops to keep it working.

The other issue is utility supply and support structure.   For hammers the size you are looking at you will need a dedicated poured pad and 3 phase power.  Hopefully you have that figured into your cost.

Wow the price today compared to when i got my clone 3 yrs ago which cost me 5600 cdn taxes in and delivered compared to 9600 cdn+ shipping , duties and taxes today for the Anyang 34 lb . Theres a guy who has a clone 34 lb a couple of hours from me that was busted up pretty bad around the ram he got all his parts from Anyang in the states. Its runnin again and having no issues he was tellin me the parts are the same.It was about a year ago the last time we talked but usually he gets a hold of me if he got issues.