I Forge Iron

Anvil on oak block- end grain vs side grain

A friend cut me an oak block for my anvil. Unfortunately he cut it 75 mm or so (3”) too short. I have a couple of choices. Either I can mount it ‘side grain’ or mount some blocks underneath to bring it up to correct height. Any thoughts?

770C27C4-5284-469C-AB7F-1A228F03BC2C.jpeg

I added a video of the block being cut, the thought better of it (20Mb), but it still seems to be partly attached. Sorry!

• 2 months later...

That would bug me. You can add 4x4's to it, of course, but I'd want it one solid piece the right height. As a long-time tree worker, my first thought is that you should just contact a local tree company (or two) and ask if they could set aside a good straight-grained oak trunk piece for you sometime (or hickory, or maple or any other large diameter hardwood in your area.) Be friendly, offer to pay, tell the guy what dimensions you're looking for -- offer to go pick it up -- Arborists come into large logs all the time. Anyone who's at all friendly would have a hard time saying no to a guy with that kind of an approach. My brother and I used to give away nice hunks of wood to all kinds of people for various reasons. Burls to wood turners to make bowls from, etc. Life is short -- get the right piece!  ;-)