I Forge Iron

JABOD and Thank You

TFuller

A quick thank you to this forum for introducing me to the lump charcoal JABOD and giving me an excellent way to make forging happen without a huge expense. 

I’ll do a more thorough write-up with dimensioned drawings and detail this week, but I at least wanted to say thank you right away. 

I turned 1/2” rebar scrap into a short JABOD rake as my first project. 

6ADBD061-BD57-4DA0-B019-354C648F0DAE.jpeg

6C7BE582-337F-46E0-BC70-DCA1764D16F9.jpeg

Welcome aboard TFuller, glad to have you.

Nice JOB! I believe you've captured the essence of the JABOD, nothing fancy just a good usable forge. As perfect as it gets for  blacksmiths. Nice coal rake too. 

Well done all round.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for the kind words. 

I have attached an as-built drawing of the JABOD along with construction and in-use photos. 

The 3/4" OSB, fire brick, bagged sand, pipe, and mattress pump were already on hand. The 2x8s were purchased because I didn't want to cut up other plywood remnants nor rip down 2x12s unnecessarily. Lump charcoal was purchased. The mattress pump lining up with the tuyere in elevation was coincidence. The scrap plywood was later thrown up to help with wind since it was a shade breezy. 

Size of the JABOD was based on the brick layout and thinking ahead about potential future brick arrangements. The scrap OSB deck just happened to be 35"x48", so it all worked out conveniently.  

This was wonderfully successful for me and a great learning experience. 

My post vise (4" 50lb Iron City - not shown) is needing a mobile station, but I'm working on that material sourcing. 

Thank you again to the users of this site that have contributed their ideas, experiences, and years of knowledge. 

IMG_9049.JPEG

IMG_9058.JPEG

IMG_9062.JPEG

IMG_9064.JPEG

IMG_9059.JPEG

IMG_9056.JPEG

IMG_9070.JPEG

JABOD_AS-BUILT.pdf

• 3 weeks later...