I Forge Iron

Shenwai SW-830 mill

I have been looking for a mill and lost out on a Milrite. However I came across this. I did a search and couldn't find any info on it. Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful.

I don't have a lot of space and all of my larger tools are on wheels. This appears to be an ideal mill. 

The sellers description says it is very similar to a Grizzly GS0731. 

Screenshot_20211108-205448_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211108-205435_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211108-205424_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211108-205549_Facebook.jpg

There may be folk here who are familiar with the good and bad aspects of this milling machine but you might have more input from a machinists' forum.  We blacksmiths tend to beat things into shape rather than mill or turn them with fine tolerances.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 4:36 AM, Calkidd said:

I understand. I saw the sub-forum here

Yes, Yes! we really want to know!  I wish I had seen this post when it first went up, I would have been all over searching it out. It has an encouraging Mfg. date...  Thanks for dredging this up, Scott.

Robert Taylor

I had an Enco once and it was ok.  But it couldn't compare to my Atlas horizontal bench top.  Tight little machine.  It had its limitations but then you have to be creative, right?

I love dredging stuff up Robert.  You just never know what you will find.

I ended up finding a very nice Rong-Fu RF-31,  with a Ditron D80 DRO, AL500 power feed and some tooling for a really reasonable price. I also found a brand new still in the crate Grizzly 10x22 lathe a little later too.

20211114_163550.jpg

20211211_160935.jpg

20211225_075821.jpg

Happy New Year Cal,

I have one similar, that I have been using for over 40 years. I should say, I wore one out (just a bit of play in the spindle) and I am on my second one. They send chips flyin' all over the place, LOL. The initial machine is the starting point, now you have to decide what Tooling you will (Need?). Then there is another piece....... and I need...........

Enjoy the journey! It is not a straight road, has a few blind corners. LOL

Neil