I Forge Iron

Please help to ident this anvil

Looks to be a London Pattern, if the weight stampings are  X  Y (0-3)  10 or is it 16? (0-27) then it was made in England.  It looks to have a lot of life left in the face.  (Any grinding or milling on the face drops the price  a LOT to me).

The only concern I have is in Picture 5; but the ring test will show if that is really a problem.

You need to check it out with the ball bearing test----to see if it's been de-tempered in a fire and the ring test to see if the face is delaminating in a hidden area. If both pass and the anvil is a reasonable price BUY IT! 

Welcome to IFI! I have nothing to add to what Thomas said about the anvil, but I would suggest that you add your location to your profile settings: the anvil market is very location-dependent, and a good price in one place might be much too expensive in another.

Very well could be a peter wright judging by the evidence. 

Looks in good usable shape. Its on the bigger end of the spectrum. 

I don't know the availability and going rate on anvils in Thailand, but it sounds like a fair price for anvils in my area. 

I would check it as Thomas said before negotiating. 

If it passes the ring/rebound tests mentioned above I would pay $1400 (~$3.18/lb) for it without hesitation. I might try to haggle a little bit -- I can't help myself -- but I think that's a more than reasonable price.

Anvils that size don't show up very often around here.

Is that US dollars, Canadian dollars, Singapore dollars, Australian dollars,...?

If it doesn't pass the ring and bounce tests it's not worth it. if it does it would be worth it where I am at---I recently sold a 248 pound Peter Wright anvil for US$1000

BTW have you reviewed the "improvised anvils" thread; people have been smithing on things that are not London Pattern anvils for over 3000 years now!

11 hours ago, jodtalingchan said:

I am from Thailand

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile to show that with every post. Like others have said it depends on the ring & rebound test. Like Frazer said, I would try haggling it down to say &1000 US. I would say if my currency calc. is right that would be  $1.00 US = 33.35 Thai Baht makes it a real bargain.