I Forge Iron

Try this again. Hi everybody!!

Coondog

20210719_182109.thumb.jpg.a0261f4ebb5763546a337d34da33a512.jpg20210826_090142.thumb.jpg.dbe4c839a68b12cb059eecae322a8a0f.jpgBrand new here but not brand new to forging however there is PLENTY I don't know.

Been at it (blacksmithing,knife making) for 15 years on and off but I hesitate to call myself either a blacksmith or knife maker since I don't feel I have enough experience for either. 

I finally have a shop and I'm working on getting it set up to get serious. I've got a forge that is about 3/4ths of the way done. Making it out of an old water heater I had. It's pretty good sized. Going to be a dual burner set up. Started out with some kaowool soaked in ridgidizer and now I'm putting in my refractory. Gonna do a final coat of ceramic and it should be good to go. 

Then all I'll need is a power hammer, forging press and a serious belt sander. That's it. Just those 3 major pieces of equipment. Maybe I'll have it all together before I die....

I'll post some pics of stuff if I can figure out how. 

Anyway, looking forward to talking to ya'll. 

Edited by Coondog
Too much info.

"Good Sized" for blades can be terrible for ornamental ironwork and vice versa.   Blades can usually be done in smaller volume forges that use a LOT LESS propane.  (As gas prices are going up; having a forge that does what you want without throwing away extra cash might be a good idea. )

Actually a lot of smiths end up with several gas forges, sized for different types of projects; as the savings on gas can pay to build another one when needed for different sized objects.