I Forge Iron

No Name Anvil?

Hello,

I first seen this anvil in my dad's garage back in the 60's. I ended up with it when he passed years ago but never used it (I'm not a blacksmith).The only lettering I see on it is "100" and maybe something that might have been on the front base at one time.

Looking around at older ones on eBay, Craigslist, they all seem to have a brand name of some sort on them. 
Does anyone have an idea on who might have made this one or when it may have been made?

Thanks!

Jim

anvil 001.jpg

anvil 002.jpg

anvil 003.jpg

anvil 004.jpg

anvil 005.jpg

Are you in the United States?  The common anvils in the USA are not the common ones in Australia!

As the weight is cast proud of the surface; it looks to have a cast iron base  Does the face where it's damaged look to have a step down to the base metal? If so it it may have a steel face and the rest being cast iron (The third picture down looks like there is a step on the edge toward the bottom of the picture.)

There were two main companies that made anvils in this way: Vulcan and Fisher.  My guess would be that this was a Fisher from the years when they were using a paper label.  The owner of the Fisher Museum would be a better source to ask!

https://www.iforgeiron.com/profile/10347-njanvilman/

Vulcans used the arm and hammer logo cast proud of the side of the anvil in a raised oval that would probably leave a trace if it had been there.

Note: this type of anvil is ruined once the steel face is gone or thinned to much to use.  This anvil is usable as it stands DON'T destroy it by grinding or welding or milling on the face!

Thanks for the replies!
All I have done so far is use a small wire wheel on a drill to remove some of the scale/rust. 

"Does the face where it's damaged look to have a step down to the base metal? If so it it may have a steel face and the rest being cast iron"

Looking at it again I would say that there appears to be a "top plate" as there is a definite line about 5/8 to 3/4" down from the face?

With that thick of a hardened plate, I would also say a Fisher. They were premium anvils back in the day and a lot of us would love to have one. I have a 110 pound Vulcan that I like because, like the Fisher it is quiet, but has a thinner top plate so the rebound is not as good.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:29 PM, ThomasPowers said:

There is definitely a "fake" line cast in to try to mislead you into thinking the faceplate is real thick; that's visible on the side---check if it lines up with the flat spot in the edge ding on the right hand side when facing the horn. I bet it doesn't!

I took more pics, a little closer. I really can't tell if that line indicates a "face plate" or not.

anvil 013.jpg

anvil 010.jpg

anvil 012.jpg

anvil 014.jpg

anvil 007.jpg

anvil 003.jpg

anvil 002.jpg