I Forge Iron

Food coloring of fumed silica to ceramic wool

inakarmacoma

Appreciate all the helpful information you've documented throughout the site. Had a quick question for you and the community.

I frequently see 'food coloring' recommended for post-buttering application of fumed silica to ceramic wool. I was wondering, would acrylic-ink be an acceptable option as well? 

I have Liquitext Acrylic Ink pigments on hand; they say: "Ultra-fluid acrylic with lightfast, artist-quality pigments. No dyes. No fade. Just pure, permanent color. And like all acrylics, it dries quickly and permanently, with no smudging or bleeding when rewetted or layered. You get pure liquid color in a range of opacities." And elsewhere I see they are made of "super-fine pigments in a [...] acrylic emulsion."

Do you think these would somehow interfere, chemically, or otherwise, as a substitute for food coloring? I'm still planning to use Kastolite-30 afterwards. But trying to save a trip to the grocery store to buy something I'll likely not use again for 20 years. ::chuckles::

IKC

NOOOO!:o You are going to heat the inside of that forge WAY hot and acrylic WILL be burning & smoking into your breathable!

I'm sure the pigment would work fine coloring the blanket so you could gauge coverage but it has to burn out and I have no idea what the: fumes, smoke, who knows what the heck, could do to a person breathing them. There may be information regarding burning acrylic pigments, I don't know. If you have information it can be safely used for this, please share it with us. In this kind of situation my default setting is ere on the side of caution. Especially when I have a known effective alternative.

Food coloring is cheap and food safe, it doesn't produce harmful fumes when you super heat it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for doing the research! It's good to have backup isn't it?  So, the bolded red over size font wasn't over the top? I worry about doing that sometimes. 

Oh I almost forgot! Welcome aboard inakarmacoma, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance.  

Frosty The Lucky.

You're more than welcome! I hope we never know how many people your question saved from making a dangerous mistake! Good questions are a treasure!

The only color I won't use is yellow, a little added: red, blue or green fixes the potty association though. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I used concentrated water color painting pigment to color mine the last time I sealed my blanket (because I found some tucked away in my wife's supply rack and didn't have a bottle of food coloring around).  Bottle probably was on the order of 25 years old, but it worked quite well for me.

Hmmm, I always thought Paris Green was kind of unattractive as a kid. One house we lived in in Seattle maybe had a Paris green living room and the color put me off green for a long time. 

Arsenic red on the other hand is striking and pretty. 

Frosty The Lucky.