I Forge Iron

Could this be water hardening?

You have plenty of stock there make some test coupons and test it. 

Frosty Pro tip. Test mystery steel BEFORE making a blade from it. That way you'll know what it needs or if it's even suitable for a blade before putting in the effort of forging one to maybe end up hanging it on the DRATS!! wall. 

I like your cleaver's profile. I look forward to seeing the finished pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Determining how to temper mystery steel is part of the test process. There are so many different kinds of steels being made there isn't a A way to temper a general type like oil or water quench. 

Bigguns suggestion of contacting the company is a good one, once you know what it is and who made it the information is almost always available on the manufacturer's website. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Waiting on an answer from the company but I did make a ticket and tried water hardening it. A file bit into it better than mild steel and I bent it 90 degrees and back to straight with no cracking..... I'm thinking this was bad steel for a cleaver!  

My next idea was to forge weld some spring steel for the cutting edge. It was going good until I melted it. So now be in the watch for a new cleaver.