I Forge Iron

Can this apron be saved.

I had a friend who was Special Forces in Nam and was still in the SF reserve in the late 1970's when we worked together. He showed me a picture of a group of them at the 2 weeks camp during the summer and one of them was a Scots Irish gentleman who had converted to Sikhism---so at the SF reserve camp he had a flaming red beard and a camo turban.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, ThomasPowers said:

I believe that coal tar was an active ingredient in some hair dyes.  Hopefully that's been changed out like the lead acetate used in some progressive dyes has been. 

It's still an active ingredient in many OTC psoriasis treatments. I use it on occasion. 

Pnut

I’ve decided what I need to do. Make a pattern on the good side where it begins to bend around my leg. Use the pattern to cut a piece to match from a piece of leather I have and stitch it on. Will end up looking like something Leatherface might wear, but should be functional. Then add leg straps. Probably move the waist and shoulder strap connection points up a bit so they are angled up at the corners there. 

As for sweat, still working on that. Maybe something like John? and Tai Goo wear on their heads. 

Almost forgot, to get the leg slit positioned right, I used a plumb bob while wearing it. EZPZ. 

This is how I tie mine, although this guy is a bit more fussy about making everything nice and neat. 

Note that the extra thickness of the rolled edge isn’t great when you’re wearing a face shield or welding mask. When I’m welding or grinding, therefore, I’ll just wrap it around my head and tie it in the back without rolling the edge or tucking the ends. 

(And yes, it’s John.)

They are moving to a little town between Houston and Beaumont in about a week. My SIL is a structural welder. His next job is a three year deal. When that one is done, there is sure to be another in the area.  I think every third man down there and in the Midland area must be a Sooner. Most of the men in my family and the kids I went to school with have spent at least some time working down there.

It is going to be tough seeing them go. My grandkids have been with us since they were babies. 

Back on point, the rag worked Ok, but I will need to work out how to get it over my eyebrows without it getting over my eyes and being a bother. Whoever above had said I would need to get my eyebrows covered too was certainly right.

Didn’t get the hole punched. Worked for an hour or so and then came in to watch a few episode of Z Nation on Netflix.  It was bloody hot out. I need to look for a fan or two. 

Almost forgot. xxxx would come to town if my wife were to learn of it, but I have been using the pool when I want to take a large piece like the hammer from a black heat to cool enough to hold really fast. Works well, and since I am the one who will be sweeping and vacuuming up the slag that pops off, I am fine with doing it. :D

Between Houston and Beaumont?   Better get gills retrofitted if you go visit---and remember to duck when the mosquitos buzz you or they will knock you over.   Not a climate I would want to "suit up" in for welding!

Back before AC; European companies would give their employees "Tropical Hardship Pay" for working down in that area.  Yes I've been down that way and understand why!

For working in the heat, I simply wear a wide Terry cloth tennis sweat band. It gets soaked, I just put on another, dry one. In particular, when the sweat starts running down my hammer arm, I also put a tennis sweat band on the wrist of my hammer arm.  Had a hammer slide completely out of my wet hand once...flew about 10 feet...not good!