I Forge Iron

George Blair anvil

I've been making horseshoes on this anvil for 3 decades but know very little about it. It came out of a vehicle mechanics shop, where it was being used as a welding table. 

Never bothered with identification but recently bought a larger Soderfors, which spiked my curiosity. 

The raised area plack has George Blair, Gateshead, 1945? Stamped but I can find very little information on the Internet. 

16234956395648279214113620745989.jpg

The Sodefors, so far, has been a pleasure to use. The George Blair has been a great servant but it doesn’t have as wide a face as I’d like when making draught horse shoes. The Blair is sat on the Sodefors anvil in the image but perspective doesn’t show the true difference in size. 

In terms of ‘performance’, they have a similar feel, both have hard working surfaces but my gut feeling is that the Sodefors face is harder – to the point I have concerns over potential for chipping, when using the edges to draw clips; no mishaps yet though.

Where the Blair wins, is manoeuvrability. I know it’s not a prerequisite for an anvil but at one time I used to lift the Blair in and out of the shoeing rig, at each call, I’d never shoe another horse if I had to lift the Sodefors. I’ve since bought a couple of mobile anvils, one was a half/half anvil (aluminium base, steel top half) with a lovely wide face but a weird shaped bick; this was quickly replaced with a Bakers American pattern Farriers wide table anvil, once produced by Vaughans, Stourbridge, UK. This was my dream mobile anvil, after using one belonging to a colleague, hence when one became available…

I have a further large anvil, in a forge at my Dad’s place. It’s a little worn in places, mainly on the edges but really nice to use. Not sure what make it is as I don’t see any markings. I’ll take some images next time I visit and ask for help on here with identification. I’ll also run some rebound tests for comparison.

If the edges are radiused on the Soderfors they're not particularly prone to chipping and you don't strike heavy blows pulling clips do you? Mine was a farrier's anvil for something like 50+ years before I got it and the edge chipping is minimal.

As much as I love mine I wouldn't be lifting it in and out of a rig regularly if it were 50lbs. heavier. Even when I was young I had reasonable limits.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 years later...

George Blair & Co. was a NE England company with works in Tow Law, Stanhope, Newcastle and Renfrew.

They were steelfounders manufacturing castings for rail and road transport and later freight containers.

They also produced military tank tracks.

George Blair started the business at the end of WW2, he had previously been a manager at Wolsingham steelworks

They became part of William Cook Defence contractors and Stanhope works are presently producing tracks for Soviet tanks being used by Ukraine.

Welcome aboard E.N, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance and give everybody context for your posts.

Thank you for the information about George Blair and their anvils. We get all kinds here.;)

Frosty The Lucky.