I Forge Iron

Any tips for forging and forge welding wrought iron?

As the title suggests. 
I have a bunch of wrought iron (and yes I know it's wrought, not mystery metal or mild, it has grain). which I got from a friend's property when they were talking down an old shed. I've had a few attempts at forging with it, however it tends to split on me. 
I know you need to work it at very high temperatures compared to other forms of steel, but does anyone have any extra tips to make using it easier, and also how to forge weld it?

Thanks in advance.

-Novak

Work it at a welding heat and... JLP describes this much better than I do, but I'll give it a shot.. WI has a grain to it and when you do things like half faced blows or accidentally create a rhombus and then correct it by knocking down two edges on the diagonals you have the potential to create a sort of twist in that grain rather than extending it out in one direction. Those twists can more easily open up into cracks if you start working it at lower temperatures. 

Summary: Work at a welding heat, support the whole bar on the face of the anvil (when possible), try to keep your blows square to the piece/face of the anvil.

Wrought iron is pretty much self fluxing and likes working at heats that would have modern mild steel burning!  (Old fluxes for wrought iron were things like clean quartz sand or even powdered glass---high temp fluxes rather than borax which is active at a lower temp for modern steels.)