I Forge Iron

Press is finished!

Dayne

I've already posted some progress of this press build. Everything is all hooked up and I'm searching online for advice on a system of some kind for filling it up with oil. Is there some procedure to follow  to make sure oil is everywhere it needs to be? Any advice or links would be appreciated.  Thanks fellas and ladies too

Good Morning,

Your reservoir will have oil in it, to supply your pump pick-up. The pressure out of the pump should go to your control valve, which will go to your work cylinder. The bypass hose from the control valve should go to a system pressure relief valve. The excess oil HAS TO go back to tank (reservoir). If your system is full loops, the system will bleed itself. Start with the system relief valve adjusted lower than you want it. Safety is #1!! Start it and check for leaks. FIX THE LEAKS FIRST!!

Neil

When i pressured up my system i pre filled the filter i didn't fill my reservoir to capacity i left it about a 1/4 from full then i turned it on worked the control then shut it down and checked for leaks which i had a couple once they were fixed we cleaned off the excess turn it on and repeated working the controls with no load until leaks were gone.Once it was cleaned we tested under a load and we checked for leaks it was good to go.I was told by the hydraulics guy to leave my tank 3/4 full when running it to allow for flow and heat expansion on the return side to the tank i ain't a hydraulics guy but i did from the start and have no flow problems.Make sure your hoses are covered from hot metal dropping on them and always check your connections periodically for leaks.I am not an expert and i suggest you talk to a hydraulics mec if you have doubts this is a chat site and my way worked for me i built my system off a schematic from a hydraulic shop .Not from advice on a chat site so good luck and i hope everything is hooked up right cause they are a great tool in a shop.

*I am not a pro*

I *JUST* rebuilt my forge press, including a couple new hoses due to repositioned tank and pump/motor.

All I did was double-check all connections were tight,  filled the tank,  turned it on and let it run for a minute until the sound was even/consistent.  Then I moved the ram up and down full length of it, probably 3-4 times,  letting it rest for a few seconds at the end of the run. Topped off the tank,  90% full.

It's working great. 

Thanks everyone.  I filled the tank, let it run. Moved it back and forth a couple tomes. Seems alright.   I just didnt want to ruin anything in a moment of haste so  i asked you people and slept on it. Its moving. Ill see if its working once i finish with the die assembly.