I Forge Iron

Mounting new post vise

Pat Masterson

Hey guys - I ordered the 5” Kanca from centaur forge. Really excited about it but a little unsure about mounting it. My work area is outdoors. It’s actually the island in the middle of a circular driveway. So my plan is to use 4x4’s to make an 8x8 post which will go into ground right at the edge of where the pavement hits the dirt of the island. My anvil is mounted this way but with a large stump so the vise will be right next to it. So this means that the post is going to be resting on the driveway itself. Is that not ok? Should there be a piece of plate steel between the post and the driveway? 

Not concerned with thieves? If not it should work nicely. I'd pin the leg more solidly than just into asphalt pavement but you'll find out soon enough if your plan isn't sufficient. A plate with holes to spike it down will work well, think 20 penny nails, 3 is plenty  unless the grade under the pavement is really soft, then use 4 or 5. Drive them fat so you don't trip over the heads.

If thieves happen I'd be thinking of sinking a steel post: pipe or structural shape with a plate welded across the top to bolt or rivet the vise to, a bit further from the anvil. If you're going to use the vise to hold bottom tooling then the same side of the forge and a pace farther from the anvil IF you can't form a work triangle in the given space. Or the opposite side of the forge for twisting, bending, etc. if I weren't using it in conjunction with the anvil. 

If you have the whole space to set up in then a 10' diameter circle is plenty of space for a generous work triangle with the forge roughly centered you have room for anvil, vise and hot work bench with room to spare. Going to put a cover over it?

Frosty The Lucky.

I welded over the nuts/bolts on my postvise when it was left outside in Ohio.  I also kept a 5 gallon plastic bucket to cover it when not in use.  It was still there when it came time to move.  I would suggest a holder for the end of the post vise leg.  We welded a large nut onto an L shaped bracket that connected to the mounting shaft for one vise. The nut holds the end of the leg and the steel underneath it kept it from messing the concrete floor it rested on.

Not really worried about it being taken. I’m far enough off the road and it’s going to be covered plus there’s usually almost always someone home. A nut welded to a plate sounds easy enough though. I have no idea how to use the welder I just bought but I’m looking forward to practicing. The vise and new anvil just came yesterday and boy are they puurrdy. Very exiting. Thanks guys.