I Forge Iron

Gas saver recommendation?

JHCC

As discussed in another thread, I've got an oxy-propane rig on order to expand my shop capacity for cutting, heating, and brazing (although not welding). A question there that remains unanswered concerns gas savers: specifically, whether I should go with a Smith for about $175:

WDW104.gif

or a Gentech for about $70-$100 less:

Gentec Gas Saver, For Oxygen and Propane||SOL-204.30

Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations/warnings?

Hello, 

I use a Gentec Model 100QF-Y with my Oxygen & Acetylene torch setup. It has worked very well for me for several years. It seems to be well built, and has been reliable for the things I use it for. The only “issue” I have noticed is that in cold weather the shut off hook is slow to rise when the torch is lifted. I usually just bump it up with the torch head before I reignite the torch, not a big deal at all. Just the only odd thing I can think of. I am not sure if the return spring is a little weak or if it is the tightness of the valving but when it is cold the arm moves slower. Maybe that is how they all act; mine is the only one I have ever used. I never store my torch hanging from the hook. I hang my torch from the cart. It has been very useful when setting rivets or bending at the vise. I can tell you I would never run a torch setup again without a gas saver. If I needed another gas saver I would by another Gentec. 

Have a great day,

W

Torch 1.JPG

And that’s what I wanted to know! Many thanks!

Since I’m doing oxy-propane, I’ll be getting the 100QF-F model. I like your cart/stand, and I’m thinking about mounting such a setup (with the foot pedal for hands-free operation) on the corner of the cart I’ll be making for the gas cylinders. Unless there’s some reason not to?

Hello,

When I set up my torch system I did not want to move the tanks around my shop from vise to bench or anvil. So my tanks are chained to the wall. I have a running line from the tanks to the gas saver cart that allows me to reach anywhere in my shop and even outside my shop. To be honest 99% of the time the extra line is just coiled next to the tanks in large loops. I mainly seem to use the torch in one or two locations in the shop. The tanks are isolated from where I am working, and can not be tipped over. The gas saver cart is small and can be conveniently placed right where I need it without having to move the tanks or having a large cart in the way. I have lost some mobility having my tanks chained to the wall, but I have gained freedom of movement where I use my torches the most. Just a different set up style to think about. 

Have a great night,

W

Thanks, guys. I see the value of stationary tanks (especially large ones), but I’m not sure where in my garage would be a convenient place to dedicate to such storage. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, almost everything on my shop is mobile (except the anvil, vise, and coal forge) and packs down into a fairly small space, so I’m rearranging my space every time I forge anyway. 

As a hobbyist, I’ll not be investing in big tanks anyway, at least not initially. I’m happy to reconfigure as necessary, when (and if) the time comes. 

Chain or somehow lock the tanks into an upright or vertical position so they can not be pulled over when you only need a few more inches of hose to get to the project.  Or something falls across or snags the hose.

The design that's coming together in my mind would accommodate a 7" diameter oxygen cylinder, so anything from a size 60 (24" high) to size 150 (46" high). I'll probably start with an 80 (31" high) or a 125 (42" high); haven't quite made up my mind. I'm certainly planning to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, including using some pretty beefy steel for its various structures.

To prevent the hose from pulling the tanks over, anchor it to something other than the regulators. I've seen ham handed knuckle heads jerk the welding cart over with the hose. 

I like my bottles on a cart to minimize trip and tip hazards. My most recent torch cart is a work in progress, I picked up a couple of battered wheel chairs at the transfer station s few years ago. Those nice big wheels will make rough ground no big problem.

Where I anchor my hoses is at the propane tank handle, I loop it over the cart handle so I'm not dragging it through obstacles but it won't tip the cart without serious effort.

Frosty The Lucky.

I took the chain off my tanks because they need to be refilled. The pandemic put a cramp in that plan though. I have to get them hydro-tested, so It's off to Welsco with them. I might down size if they will swap them out and I still own them.

My brother gave me that setup in the early '70s for my birthday. Since I don't use the A/O torch much, they last a long time and I have only had to get them tested once about 20 years ago when I had them refilled. I picked up an old tank hand truck/cart, but my tanks are too large to fit so downsizing makes sense and I wouldn't relish horsing those big tanks around anyway.

I bought a 135cu' oxy bottle when I got my oxy propane rig and when I moved to Wasilla Air Liquide exchanges. I don't have to worry about: age, inspection, testing, certification, etc. I pay for 135cu' and they just make sure I get at least that size. I didn't see a 135 cu' bottle in their cage last time I was there. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, update. I ordered the Gentec last night from a website called "torchtools[dot]com", which had pretty much the best price I could find without being a sketchy-looking outfit in Columbia or Bahrain. This morning, I got an email from PayPal that my payment has been refunded, since my order was cancelled because of a "pricing issue". Then I get another email from the company asking me to place the order again on "torchtips[dot]com".

It seems that the company has two websites, and the price on the one where I'd ordered it had not been updated. What was $105 is now $195.

I don't think so.

I've sent them an email saying (in part), "I would be happy to place a new order with you if and only if you are willing to honor your original price. I would consider this a demonstration of your professional integrity and your commitment to treating your customers fairly, and thus I would be happy to work with you. Otherwise, I will take my business elsewhere."

We shall see. Looks like I might be getting a Smith after all.

Update: they gave me an answer whose true character I cannot adequately describe without a major violation of forum policy. Let's just call it "unsatisfactory".

A Smith gas saver is on its way from Cyberweld.