I Forge Iron

Anvil stand legs; what's best ?

Hello;

Quick question; I've been using 60 mm square tube with 3 mm walls; 

But I've also seen round tube; H-beams, U-beams, angle iron, 20 mm thick iron; 30mm solid iron  ... 

So what would be best suited ? For an anvil tripod stand welded together.

greetings, Bart

Generally speaking, more mass is good. Beyond that, whatever is heaviest, cheapest, and easiest to source.

When I built my anvil stand, I used some heavy I-beam, mostly because it was free. Looking back on it, I've realized that there was another advantage: that I could weld the joints from all sides, in a way that I couldn't have with tube. If your welding is better than mine was back then (a staggeringly low bar), this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Please define your criteria for BEST; for most of us "Available and Free" are heavy hitters, for others "easiest to cut and weld", "Able to fill with sand and oil to help dampen sound", etc. may take the lead.  For a travel stand light weight might be important as might corrosion resistance if it would be outside near a sea shore. 

Best is meaningless without the criteria---what is the best vehicle?  Not saying if it has to get extremely good gas mileage; or carry 15 people; or carry 15 tons of gravel; or cross open water; or travel to the international space station...

That pretty well lets out "minions"---they tend to get noisy when anvil weight exceeds 150 pounds...Oil field drill stem is very strong and can be packed with sand and oil for sound dampening---but you need heavy duty equipment to work with it and it's quite heavy indeed! (And is not available everywhere...)  I'd look into "structural" pipe or tubing.    Tank gun barrel would be Neat...

About as close to silent as you'll get is a sand box stand. A box of sand you bed the anvil in is quiet and can be adjusted for height with micrometer precision and is easy to move by dumping the sand in buckets.

If you want a steel tripod I made mine from 2" x 3" rectangular tubing I don't know how thick and used 1/4" x 2" angle iron bent to a tight fit flange up around the anvil base. I wedge it tight with my tong and bottom tool racks. It took the worst of the ring from my Soderfors and Trenton anvils. 

Frosty The Lucky.