I Forge Iron

The lathe in my shop.

Jim Foster

I meant there had to be something spinning in the headstock and that means there has to be a bearing in it.  Babbitt makes for some good bearings that can be replaced in the workshop without resorting to a dealer in obsolete parts and gold bullion---(you bring them gold bullion, they will give you obsolete parts...)

5 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

I used to have one. It is still alive in a friends basement workshop. You can mount a vise like thing on the carriage and turn it into a milling machine, etc......

Neil

Yup, a milling attachment. Got one for it too. used it to cut keyways. I'll post it in a bit. First need to learn how to down size my photos.

Downsizing pictures is easy, once you click to add the uploaded picture, double click on it and an image box pops up showing the size. I use 500 for the first size and check the box for keeping the original aspect ratio, hit tab and hit update. If within the 30 min edit time you can also edit and double click on the picture to change it.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:42 AM, Jim Foster said:

Yup, a milling attachment. Got one for it too. used it to cut keyways. I'll post it in a bit.

*drumming fingers*.... 

Juuusst kidding....  Still, if you get time, it would be fun to look at!  

Edited by Nodebt
Insert punctuation

12 hours ago, Greebe said:

Cool lathe, but not sure about the hanging chuck setup. My chucks have always been stored on a cart or a bench. I would either drop one of those on my foot or hit my head on one.:D

Got tired of stubbing my toes on them laying on the floor. I go barefooted most of the warmer part of the year.

Just now, Nodebt said:

*drumming fingers*.... 

Juuusst kidding....  Still if you get time, it would be fun to look at!  

Oh crap, forgot. Will get that pic in a few. Again. lol

Jim

77294912-30C3-4AA4-ABEB-870F4FE267A3.thumb.jpeg.5f61df73af223da615caf6b0396157d6.jpeg

8FF0293E-E24E-40B4-9E92-CEAD773FB538.thumb.jpeg.e3a455e09f55212fb24bdb0dee3eca22.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Nodebt said:

Take your time... I wouldn't want you get in a rush and stub you toe.  You must have tough feet!  :)

Go all summer without shoes unless I have to go to work or some business. But home, hardly ever. Sometimes running a torch... hahaha!

41 minutes ago, Jim Foster said:

Sometimes running a torch... 

Slag makes short work out of toe jambs! 

Thanks for the photos.  Nice.  I'll look at them for a while before asking a dumb question or two.  It appears to me it clamps to the ways.  I have one my grandpa made himself, but it clamps in the compound rest.  Again thanks for posting the pix.

1 hour ago, Jim Foster said:

Got tired of stubbing my toes on them laying on the floor. I go barefooted most of the warmer part of the year.

I used to turn a lot of 4140 in my shop and I would not want to be anywhere near that lathe with barefeet and blue chips coming off all over the place. Not only will they burn you, but they are sharp as a knife. I had to spend 5 minutes picking them out of my work boots at the end of the day, wouldn't want to do that with barefeet. LOL! :D