I Forge Iron

Arm and Hammer ?

Welcome aboard Johnny, glad to have you. Telling us where you live in one post won't stick in our minds once we open another. If you put your general location in the header we won't have to keep asking and you'l have a better change of getting together with other members living in the Nederlands, there are quite a few.

Nice looking anvil, no idea who made it though. Have you done a rebound test? Drop a bearing ball, say around 12mm on the face AFTER you brush dirt or crud off it and estimate how far it bounces back up as a %. Do it in a pattern across the entire anvil face to help determine if there are any places where the face plate is becoming unwelded to the body. Doing it in front of a ruler or tape measure is an excellent method if making that kind of estimate isn't your thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Arm and Hammer made in Columbus Ohio, USA; leaving the steam hammer marks on the underside of the heel is very characteristic of A&H anvils.  Considered a top tier anvil.

The caplet impression in the base is better known for Trentons which were also made in Columbus; but they were known to share bases when the other factory ran short.  (I have a 91# A&H anvil with the caplet base too.

The numbers on the front foot should be serial number and weight in pounds so if that is really a "25" it would be an old one.  I'd show the pics to Richard Postman the leading expert on "Anvils in America". (In fact he wrote the book AinA!)

*NOT* to be confused with a Vulcan anvil which used the arm holding a hammer logo as well but cast proud of the surface not stamped in. Vulcan was a totally different company located in another state and is considered a lower quality anvil.

17 hours ago, Deimos said:

Where are you located in the Netherlands? 

Soest, in the middle.. 

17 hours ago, Jobtiel1 said:

Yes, I'd like to know this too. Maybe we can meet up and make some things, as I think Deimos lives somewhat close by.

good idea! sounds like fun. someone on instagram? Grtz 

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Arm and Hammer made in Columbus Ohio, USA; leaving the steam hammer marks on the underside of the heel is very characteristic of A&H anvils.  Considered a top tier anvil.

Hi Thomas, thanks a lot for the information! Very much appreciated!! Sounds like a good find:) any idea how old it is? I thought I could see a 5 next to the 25 (see photo) but I’m not certain.

542723D2-7CB3-4250-824D-41F956ED87DD.jpeg

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Johnny. Have you done a rebound test? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty the Lucky, Thanks very much for the tips! Haven’t done a rebound test yet, but I'm definitely going to do it. First I have to find a bearing ball :) 

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.