I Forge Iron

5160 Steel Uses in Blacksmithing

I'm a newbie to blacksmithing.  I retired a couple years ago and started playing around with metal working, welding, and now blacksmithing. I've been stalking up on materials from the junkyard and recently have come across a seller who has lots of new old stock of 5160 steel flat bar in various sizes with most being 0.25" thick. This steel is new and isn't reclaimed material from leaf springs.

I would like to stock up on some of this 5160 flat bar stock as the price is very reasonable. I understand it works well in using for larger survival type knives, but what other applications would you recommend this steel be used for?  Here's a couple items I would eventually like to make with this steel in the future as my blacksmithing skill level increases:  large survival knives, machete, draw knives, wood timber framing chisels, and European scythe blades.  What's your opinion on using 5160 for these type of applications?  Also, I have several planers to include a 16" jointer, four head planer/moulder and several simple hand wood planers.  Would 5160 work as wood planer blades?  Any other ideas on what could be made with 5160 steel flat bar stock as I gradually increase my blacksmithing skills?  Thank you for your time and I look forward to reading your recommendations.

My recommendation would be to use your browser's search function, I use chrome and when I type in   5160 site:iforgeiron.com    I get 1130 results discussing 5160 *only* on iforgeiron!   

Synopsis: good for blades, especially larger ones. Good for tooling made by starting blacksmiths. As scythe blades were traditionally made from iron and the edge hammer hardened I don't know about that. Planer and joiner blades are best made from high alloy steels not very forgeable but with lots of wear resistance.

If it is at a good price it is EXCELLENT trading material at blacksmith conferences!  Shoot if you were near me I'd love to buy some.  A student of mine went to the ABS school in Texarkana and 5160 is what they used in their knifemaking course.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. 

You can make all of those things from 5160 though leaf spring is harder to forge than you might think. It's hard to control the shape, it wants to curl away from the side you're drawing down. 

Ditto new old spring stock being excellent trading stock.

1/4" is mighty thin for: bark spuds, wood slicks gouges and similar long handled log and timber framing tools. 

If he can get you coil spring you should stock up on some various diameter wire, coils. Small dia. say 3/8" down makes excellent: punches, chisels, scribes, wood carving knives, etc. Larger dia. makes good knives and tools needing to be strong and flexible say a: pry bar, kant hook, log tong, etc. a grappling hook to fish a 57 Chevy dump truck out of a lake. You  know strong but not brittle.

1 hour ago, landrand said:

I've been stalking up on materials

Do materials hide from you, are they easily frightened off or something? Thank you, I LOVE a good straight line and typos are often the best. Better, I get to poke a new guy too, my morning is fulfilled. :) 

Frosty The Lucky.