I Forge Iron

Suspended weathervane

I have a unique piece of hand-sawn hardwood that weighs 15 ibs, which I'd like to make into a weathervane suspended from under my roof eave. The primary stumbling block is finding the right hardware to allow it to pivot properly: I've so far purchased a 3/4" swivel eye snap hook, rated at 30 lbs load limit, and a 1/4" x 2 1/2' lag screw eye, both Marine grade; the screw eye would screw into the top of the wood, now I need the right piece of hardware to screw into the rafter under the eave. The swivel eye snap hook has a closed loop, as does the screw eye, so whatever hardware I use for the upper mount has to have an open hook rather than a closed loop. Any alternatives to these items, as well as other advice, would be welcome. I'm a retired carpenter/maintenance-man by trade. 

Thank you...

Welcome aboard, if you were close to me, I could forge just about any type of hook to use between the snap hook & screw eye. Not knowing if you have the capability to forge or where in the world you are located it's hard to give a concise answer though. This may give you some ideas. Pictures of your hardware might help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cloverdaleforge/sets/72157678651367780/

Never had this type of suspension/pivot requested before, but may I suggest a possible solution and a couple of potentially major problems.

Solution, IMHO it will need need an independent axle and bearings to allow it to freely swivel, axle secured to ceiling, bearings mounted at each edge of the timber with a clearance hole through the timber.

Major problems are,

To rotate freely in the wind direction the vane should be balanced,

One end of the vane needs to be more wind resistant than the other so you can figure which direction the wind is coming from, which may mean profiling a shape or adding ballast if needed

It needs to be in clear air, so depending on how far out the eaves stretch this may be difficult to achieve, there is a large lee (sheltered from wind direction) along any side of a building.

Personally I would reconsider the location and put the finished vane on a vertical mount which could simply be a vertical pole suitably positioned for viewing from wherever is most suitable.

This vertical method would make it much simpler make it to allow it to freely pivot with minimum metalwork needed, 

I hope this helps, and if you would like to pursue my alternative, I would be happy to make recommendations. Weather vanes are a personal thing and should be inspired by your own reason for having one, In the past I have made them with profiles of favourite pets, boats, cars, hobby themes etc to give you some ideas

2092790199_Gnomehome.png.3132e63b396f084a9bedcfe2c9ab887c.png  425641571_CopyofWeathervanewindsurfer.png.00d8610340eb8bea7c6edf2c06a696cc.png

1636628720_Weathervaneleapingsalmon.png.a2fc12987de34030ca82f586f5a7d7ec.png

Suspending your weather vane from the top only, will present troubles of it's own, with it swinging as a pendulum rather than spinning about it's axis.

So, whatever you suspend it from needs to be pretty ridged. A shaft to run through it, with a "bearing" on the bottom to reduce friction, and a hard attachment at the top would work better than hooks, and swivels.   A couple of conical hardwood bearings, well waxed, with the small ends together should work fine.

John B beat me to it, so never mind.

On 1/17/2021 at 2:52 PM, Kerry Woods said:

under the eave

Don't know how I missed this. A weather vane needs to be away from any walls which will block the wind for the most part. A way to get around that would be to make a bracket from under the eave and a post extending up taller than the peak of the roof, or mount it on a post far enough away from anything that will block the direction of the wind. It's kinda hard to see our dragon weather vane to the left of the pendulum in the garden.

20170922_185028.thumb.jpg.c13b46271f3ee88403b26ddaed06c082.jpg

IDF&C, those are really cool. I would like to see some close ups of that Celtic cross in the background though. I am of Irish ancestry and Catholic so those crosses kind of hold a special place for me. Even my Rosary has one and my touch mark is one. 

Actually to be honest i would like to see more of all 3. 

I'll have to take some close ups of the cross. My wife did a full scale drawing of what she wanted and we had a local stone co. make it for us. It's three pieces base, center upright and top circle. In the mean time here is a couple of pictures & video of the pendulum. My wife took a class from Victoria Patti and that is what she made.

There are no bearings for the axle (close up) and it will rock for about five minuets.

100_1862.thumb.JPG.a3ebac4f47e3a5cbbdaca5edb6679a6f.JPG

100_1863.thumb.JPG.63afd0b2fd036db286907167af87b1b1.JPG

57 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

close ups of the cross.

100_2155.thumb.JPG.eeaeb2d89d635476e7e670b38d983b28.JPG

100_2156.thumb.JPG.2f65763f02e1f9497312b66380af1b01.JPG

100_2157.thumb.JPG.d25a1b417306defc567b1545c243154c.JPG

100_2158.thumb.JPG.20cf4157153203cfea8b95f0b514767a.JPG

The little dragon weather vane. He has a glass globe in his hands and the staff he rotates on is tapered to a point and the tube welded to the aarow slips over it, only needs an occasional drop of oil to keep him spinning free.

100_2159.thumb.JPG.f4d5f81b6c3e08a20e25ace5ab4fc993.JPG

The pendulum hasn't had any trouble handling the wind here and we have had gusts up to 70 mph. The last storm we had a couple of weeks ago the pendulum rocked away with the wind all day long. It takes about a 20 mph wind to get it rocking on it's own. The axle is mounted about an inch above the balance point. About the only thing it will do is the axle may walk along the rods it sits on until it gets to the upright sections but it has never blown off the stand. The stand is welded to a heavy half inch thick base plate and it has never tipped over.

I used to work in a tattoo shop and done some art for them. I really got into knot work for a while and it was popular in tats. It is really not that hard  once you learn the technique. I used to try and recreate a lot from the Book of Kells. I read a legend about the art that the artist would always put 1 mistake in the knots. Provably more true that it is just hard not to make a mistake but it sounds good. 

When i show the wife these i will now have to make a weather vane also. Thanks for the input i will now see what i can create.