I Forge Iron

Help identify anvil

Pfeil&Co, London, warranted??? There is more but I cannot make it out.

132 or 244 pounds, I can't make out the first number. Interesting that the weight is stamped on the opposite side from most I have seen documented.

Post 1830 (it has a pritchel) or so English wrought anvil in pretty good shape. I love the kind of rough finishing.

If you wanted to, you could send that nice little lathe and anvil over here for a vacation....

Think I goofed the weight, 2 0 26 would be 250, please don't ask for Kg, as I will mess that up even worse!

If ring and rebound are good and the price is right, it would be a nice addition to a shop.

Good luck with it

18 hours ago, rustyanchor said:

If you wanted to, you could send that nice little lathe and anvil over here for a vacation....

Think I goofed the weight, 2 0 26 would be 250, please don't ask for Kg, as I will mess that up even worse!

If ring and rebound are good and the price is right, it would be a nice addition to a shop.

Good luck with it

Nice one mate.

The price is £480 it is expensive but here in the UK anvil prices are ridiculously high. 

my shop is gonna be in a gazebo 3x3m (10x10 ft), do you think this anvil would be too big?

just finished restoring my vice yesterday here’s a photo :D

73F05D47-72FD-4E48-A27B-A16604741D70.jpeg

Thomas, are there any drawbacks in using such a large anvil other than the obvious having to navigate around it?

33 minutes ago, Decebalus said:

my shop is gonna be in a gazebo 3x3m (10x10 ft), do you think this anvil would be too big?

Oh yes, absolutely too big. I volunteer to keep it safe and dry for you in my shop. I'll even clear it a place of it's own. Please feel free to PM me for shipping info. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Preheating it takes longer.  You can do small work on a large anvil *much* easier than doing large work on a small anvil.  How big is the hardy hole?  Large anvils can have larger hardy holes that are more troublesome to make or find tooling for.  I have a large anvil with two 1.5" hardy holes I keep one sleeved down to 1" so I can use my regular anvil tooling in it and then make bottom tools from top tools by forging their eyes down into a 1.5" stem.  Moving it is harder too.

If my conversions are close, that would a decent price per pound here. Not as good per Kg-less Kg per Pound Sterling !

I don't know how big is too big for what you intend to use the anvil for.  In actual footprint size, a 250 pound anvil is not really, that much, bigger than a 100 pound. An old Trenton ad had dimensions for various sized anvils. A 250 pound Trenton was 10 inches longer and 2 inches taller, the face was about an inch wider and 6 1/2" longer than their 100 pound anvil. Not like sacks of feed, double the weight, double the footprint... 

I wonder if Pfiel & Co was like Sears and many other retailers here, had the some tools made by other companies and rebranded them.

I like your vise, looks like an oldie.

If it does come home with you please post pics...

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Oh yes, absolutely too big. I volunteer to keep it safe and dry for you in my shop. I'll even clear it a place of it's own. Please feel free to PM me for shipping info. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, you’re too kind. But you can come round to check it out and why not bang some iron on it ;)

The actual measurements are: 29x13x10 1/2”

I guess it’s a big huge but then I’ll never have to worry about not being able to forge some larger stuff.

Moving it it’s gonna be a pain, but no pain no gain right?

I’ll keep you updated if I get it, defo

Once again lads, I really appreciate your help. Thank you. 

19 hours ago, Decebalus said:

But you can come round to check it out

I'll just wander around the world looking. It's not like I can just look at your AVATAR and see where you live. That's okay though I'm retired I have free time. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:09 PM, Decebalus said:

The price is £480 it is expensive but here in the UK anvil prices are ridiculously high

I see prices like that in the states all the time. As long as people keep paying those prices they will keep charging. I frequently see anvils that people are asking 6-8 USD and getting it. I don't think people realize that quality anvils are still being produced or they think because something is old it must be higher quality. I offered three dollars per pound for a small Vulcan and was turned down. The market has gone crazy. 

Pnut

On 1/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, Frosty said:

I'll just wander around the world looking. It's not like I can just look at your AVATAR and see where you live. That's okay though I'm retired I have free time. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I live in London, feel free to contact me if you ever end up here 

• 2 weeks later...

The absence of a pritchel hole usually indicates pre 1830 as Das said. The lack of one is easy to address simply by making one separate from the anvil attached to the stand or one that fits in the hardy hole. To me it looks a lot like an early Mouse Hole or one of the many makers who worked for them then struck out on their own making anvils. By any means, it's a great looking good sized (154 pound) anvil and ready to go back to work.