I Forge Iron

Shed Shop in the Works

TRR1143

Hi everyone, I moved about a year ago for work and initially lived in an apartment without much room for forging. This past summer I finally was able to move into a house with enough room for a small shed shop to primarily use for forging. After working through HOA requirements I was able to get a 10x12 building (pre-built) to get started. I'm not so much concerned about that size of the space, I've worked previously in part of a garage that was that size or smaller. I just wanted to run my progress by some more experienced folks on here and seek some advice on a few topics that I am encountering during the shop set up.

IMG_0571.thumb.jpeg.8d89c2e05d65121af79c6edf87d943db.jpeg

My chief concern, that was either an oversight or an overestimation of the shed stability, is its connection to the ground for forge work. The yard is somewhat sloped and the building was setup on blocks for leveling. I realize that a concrete slab would be a much better foundation than block piers but that option is currently unavailable due to cost and accessibility for now. Regardless I am looking for another solution to improve the connection to the ground under my anvil. Without any additions, setting the anvil stand up over one of the block piers supporting the runners offers the best support, but these are not located in great spots for working around the shop as you could imagine. I am curious as to other solutions that people might be able to think up. I'm currently tossing around the idea of using a wide deck jack (suitable for working on motorcycles, ATVs, etc.) under the location of my anvil to improve the connection. I'm not looking for it to support the load of the building, rather to help transmit force through the floor into the ground. The jack would be adjustable so it could get a "perfect" fit under the building, and I could still move it as I'm adjusting the locations of everything in the shop as I work more with it. Just my current thoughts.

Additionally I was curious on methods for fire/sound proofing. The interior is of course wooden and I was considering armoring up the forging area with something to help with this. I'm honestly mostly concerned with dropping hot steel on the floor, but I might as well cover the walls in the area while I'm at it. I've seen mentions of cement board, sheet metal and more and was curious what people would recommend. I'm near Raleigh, NC for location purposes.

IMG_0687.thumb.jpeg.938dab5a20061b768ecfc2ee7aaad485.jpeg

The above picture is just for spacial reference. You can see that the area is roughly split in two for a forging space and then a recently built workbench area. The forge and anvil move around easy enough until I find out where I like them and there are plenty of openings for ventilation. I've also just installed my CO monitor and got a fire extinguisher brought in as well. I'm planning on building a support on the short leg of the work bench for the post vise in the future and will eventually run power over for lights and outlets.

I just wanted to share my progress so far and get some advice on a few issues coming up, as well as any other suggestions for improvements, setup, etc in the future. Thanks for looking!

Fire resistant sheet rock with fiberglass batting between the two by fours will quiet the walls down without losing much space. Remember sound will travel through any gap in the sound proofing!

As for the anvil, can you cut a hole in the floor and have the anvil stand resting on the ground?  (Much like folks cut a section out of a concrete slab to make a power hammer base!)

Nice little shed you have there!

I would also considering cutting a hole in the floor, once you decide on an anvil location that works for you.

In the meantime, you might consider stacking up some cribbing under the floor where you're anvil is for the moment. It looks like access underneath is not a real problem.

if one of the pier blocks is convenient to back up the anvil stand, start with that and see if its absorbs enough shock, not a big fan of cement for anvil support, but if its what you have.....

I work out of a shed too, and what I've taken to doing is not the greatest for now... but it works. Its easy to get filled with junk in a smaller space quick! I have to clean mine often keep up. It needs it now.

I have a stump for my anvil stand, and my anvil isn't mounted on it permanently. The stump stays outside my shed door, and when I'm going to be working, ill slide the anvil out of the shed and onto the stump.

I then set my propane forge in the open doorway of the shed, and work standing in front of the door. It puts me eye-ish level into my forge and its literally a slight turn to the anvil.

Don't have an image of it set up... but you can see the relation here.

20200516_084803.jpg

Cutting a hole would likely be the best solution practically, but it's also quite permanent. In the event that I don't bring this shed if we move, the new owner likely wouldn't see the use in it haha.

At present I have a few concrete blocks leveled out underneath where the anvil sits and I have a wide deck jack bridging the gap. The improvement is actually quite decent, definitely better than I expected, but I'll be curious to see how it holds up to repeated abuse. It's fairly easy to access the underside to check though. If it ends up failing I'll probably end up using some cribbing.