I Forge Iron

Choice of material

Northerncraftsman

Thnaks!

My first double egde weapon, chistmas gift for my brother.

And first time using Brass. Dont like the shine... the plan for the pommel is an 8-sided diamond ish shape, if you know what i mean.

Nothing is finished yet, blade has not been etched. Its low layer damask, should look quite bold when i get it in the acid:)

I'm a fan of copper over brass, generally speaking. Mostly because its softer and it looks nicer (in my opinion) with darker woods.. Plus the color gets better with a little patina on there. More of a personal preference than a recommendation.

I had a feeling it was damascus. I like the low layer patterns, you often see things you wouldn't if there were a whole lot of layers.

That'll be a very nice gift, I'm sure your brother will like it.

You can get a nice matte finish on brass by using a steel bristle wire wheel.  Try it on a piece of scrap brass and see how you like it.  the harder wire bristles leave little pits in the softer brass.  You can adjust the finish a bit by how hard you press the brass piece against the turning wheel. Also, using a fine or coarse wheel will make a difference.  Practive with scrap until you feel confident.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I have used this method to patina new brass when restoring old muzzleloader's. It works well to age the brass so it looks like it is old not bright & shiny. The brass must be cleaned with acetone or lacquer thinner wearing nitrile or rubber gloves so no skin oils gets on them.

• Two or three hard-boiled eggs (boiled for at least 5 minutes; the yolk should be solid).
  • A small shallow dish on which to place your brass pieces.
  • A Ziploc freezer bag. The bag must be large enough to hold the small dish plus the hard-boiled eggs with room to spare usually a gallon bag.

Chop the boiled eggs. Place the brass on the small dish. Add the chopped eggs to the Ziploc bag. Place the small dish in the middle of the eggs inside the Ziploc Bag. The egg should not touch the metal. Close the Ziploc Bag. Leave it alone! You will be tempted to look but don't! Using a Ziploc bag will help you withstand temptation. You can open the Ziploc bag when the metal darkens to the color you want. Throw away the eggs, and shine your piece leaving some of the detail oxidized. The process usually takes 4 to 6 hours, longer if it's not dark enough. This process works well on silver and copper too.

Using the sealed in a container with but not touching works with ammonia too. Left long enough it will produce varying degrees of verdigris. It should take the shine off but I haven't tried just aging.

Urine should do it too.

Frosty The Lucky.