I Forge Iron

How long does your propane last?

Chimaera

Hi! I've got a solid fuel forge that I built, which takes about $1 to light, then $1 an hour to run. I've got a friend who wants a forge, but is on a tight budget, and isn't very good on space. How much does it cost to run a single burner mini propane forge? I assume off of a 20lb tank. Propane isn't super cheap, but I imagine it doesn't use too much? Thank you.

Chimaera

(If this is in the wrong thread, my apologies. Wasn't sure where to ask this)

Edited by Chimaera
Clarification

I used to budget about US$2 an hour for a 14" long, 6 inch wide (internal size) pipe forge using two burners.  These were with oldstyle burners and I wasn't forge welding.  I always seemed to  get a refill for under my usage/cost estimate.  With a smaller burner/forge (BOTH OF THEM PROPERLY MADE!); I'd expect less cost.

With zilch budget; a JABOD running on homemade charcoal should come in at even US$0 per hour if you have a hand powered blower.

Sorry. It would be light use, no forge welding. Probably knives, spearheads, leaves, stuff like that. 

13 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

With zilch budget; a JABOD running on homemade charcoal should come in at even US$0 per hour if you have a hand powered blower.

May I ask what JABOD means? He’s kinda pressed for space, and would be doing really light work, so I thought a small propane might be a better choice for him, but that’s what I’m asking about it. Thanks