I Forge Iron

new in ohio

Hey peeps, I am new to forging and just stumbled on the site. would like advice about creating crucibles, grogs, fire proofing my forge and generaly people who have extensive knowledge......wanna pick your brain......lol.   I'm 36 and dreamed of this and researched since childhood. running a coal forge currently want to master it first then step up to propane but need a better forge bowl and ash pot. want to melt next with coal. LMAO.....HELLLLLLLP...?

Welcome aboard, we won't remember Ohio once leaving this thread. Hence the suggestion to put your general location in your profile. This thread will help you get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST

I'm afraid if you fire proof your forge you won't get the steel very hot.:lol:

My best advice for crucibles for the higher temperature metals is BUY THEM!  Crucible failure ranges from annoying to DEADLY with a whole lot of massive hospital bills and pain in between.

I would strongly advise you to specify what you want to melt and how much when you ask questions about it. I took a hands on, out of hours, course on brass casting from my local University's art department back around 1984 and have been casting copper, bronze, brass and  silver (fine and sterling),  in small amounts using my coal forge to provide the heat.  (Knife fittings generally, some jewelry.)  Knowing how to do it right is faster and cheaper than "experimenting".

You may want to read the archives over at backyardmetalcasting.com

As usual, I strongly agree with Thomas regarding crucibles.  Commercial ones are reasonably priced and you probably don't need anything too large.  I would walk (or run) out of a shop where someone was melting metal in a home made crucible.  As you can see from reading threads here molten metal is DANGEROUS and should be approached with caution, full PPE, rehearsal of movements, correct tools, and a good dose of fear and caution.  I'm not trying to discourage you but approach it cautiously.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

There is a lot going on in your short post. 

I can't speak to melting metals (other than accidentally burning it in the forge) or crucibles or related, but you mention needing a better fire pot, or forge in general? 

Why not start there while you research the other stuff a bit more. 

First there are topics on forges and such. What are you using, what is your fuel? What is your problem with what you are currently using?

If you can, pictures of your current forge can help fill in blanks. More details about what you are doing/using can help us help you.